Advertisement

Woman’s Hand Is Sliced Open After Old Bottle of Kombucha Exploded: 'A Literal Bomb'

"I touched it and I guess the pressure of my hand moving it a little bit made it turn into a literal bomb," Morgan Bailey says on TikTok

<p>Morgan Bailey</p> Morgan Bailey posts TikTok explaining how she cut her finger

Morgan Bailey

Morgan Bailey posts TikTok explaining how she cut her finger

A woman is issuing a health-related PSA on TikTok after cutting open her hand due to an old bottle of kombucha exploding in her refrigerator.

In the video posted Sunday, Morgan Bailey, 32, explained how she went to grab a bottle of store-bought kombucha (a fermented drink made with tea, sugar, bacteria and yeast) that had been sitting in her fridge for three months when something strange happened. Bailey said: "I touched it and I guess the pressure of my hand moving it a little bit made it turn into a literal bomb."

"There was glass everywhere, all over my kitchen, the walls, the ceiling," the Mexico City local continued. "I'm thankful I was wearing my glasses because it actually went into my face."

The TikToker, whose hand is wrapped in the video, added she didn't go unharmed from the incident. She explained that when the glass shattered it left a deep gash between her middle finger and ring finger. "It cut directly between my fingers around my ring finger and down my palm," she said.

"It was pretty gross," she continued. "I could see some stuff inside my hand. I'm very lucky though, I just needed stitches. I just need to wear this and have stitches for the next two weeks and then I'll go back and get them removed."

Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from juicy celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.

Related: California Man Loses Most of His Fingers Due to Coronavirus: 'This Could Happen to You'

In a follow-up video, which has gone viral with 4.7 million views, Bailey encourages people who have an old bottle of kombucha in their fridge to wear oven mitts and protective eye goggles when removing it.

"This is a reminder that if you have kombucha in your refrigerator and it's been kind of a long time, don't touch it," she said.

<p>Morgan Bailey</p> Morgan Bailey explains how a bottle of kombucha exploded in her fridge

Morgan Bailey

Morgan Bailey explains how a bottle of kombucha exploded in her fridge

Related: What Is ‘Fried Rice Syndrome’? A Food Safety Expert Weighs in on the Dangers of Eating Leftover Starchy Foods

Since posting about her scary kombucha incident, curious TikTok users have flooded Bailey's comments about how long the drink was in her fridge.

"What was the expiration date?" one person commented. "Not sure. the booch bomb remnants are unreadable. I had it for around 2.5-3 months," Bailey replied.

"I'm never touching kombucha again," another person writes.

According to the Seattle Kombucha Co. if unpasteurized kombucha is left out too long, (if there is enough sugar in the bottle) the carbonation and the pressure inside the bottle may become too high causing the bottle to fizz all over the place when you open it, or the bottle may even explode. The company also adds that unpasteurized kombucha can continue to ferment inside the refrigerator.

"WARNING: Always take precaution when opening an unpasteurized bottle that has been left out of refrigeration and then re-chilled. You don't want to lose an eye or break something in the house over a can or bottle of kombucha,' their website reads.

For more People news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!

Read the original article on People.