Maui County officials said that most of West Maui will reopen for tourists on November 1 amid the aftermath of the Maui wildfires.
Maui County Mayor Richard Bissen made the announcement on Monday, adding that he made the decision after discussing it with his Lahaina advisory team, the Red Cross and other partners.
According to the Associated Press, most parts of West Maui expect the burnt-out sections of historic Lahaina will reopen.
Bissen added that next month’s reopening phase will combine the remaining two phases that had been planned and is intended to signal a time when businesses and workers can make their preparations.
“The Red Cross has assured me that housing for displaced Lāhainā residents, including those staying in hotels, is not in jeopardy,” Bissen said in a statement, adding that county partners will work on developing childcare programs for displaced families.
“Sheltering close to 7,000 survivors remains a critical focus of our efforts and their needs are our priority,” Bissen added. “I appreciate the help our hotels have provided these past several weeks, and we’ll continue to work together with the hotel properties and American Red Cross.”
It’s been two months since the Maui wildfire, the deadliest U.S. wildfire in more than a century, occurred, resulting in the deaths of at least 115 residents and destroying thousands of structures.
— The Associated Press contributed.