Weekend homicide victim convicted of manslaughter in 2014, a fugitive in 2018

·3 min read

One of two men killed in a shooting this weekend may have been on the run since 2018.

Nico Soubliere, who succumbed to injuries Monday morning, was at the center of a homicide case in Ottawa dating back to 2012.

After eventually being convicted of manslaughter and assault causing bodily harm, Soubliere had been serving time at Parrtown Community Correctional Centre before sawing off his ankle bracelet and leaving the facility in 2018.

Detective Const. Joel Fisher would not confirm whether the victim from this weekend is the same twenty nine year old Soubliere convicted of manslaughter in 2012, but said Soubliere's past was being investigated in the establishment of a possible motive.

He added that it was unclear if that information would be made public, or would be relevant to the case, if confirmed by investigators.

At this time in the ongoing investigation, police have shared little other than that they have identified suspects and are looking at a 2016 KIA Optima with Quebec plates found at the scene as a central piece of evidence.

Soubliere and 21 year old Carl-Alen Delphin, both from Ottawa, were shot on Saturday night and found near the Sydenham Road and Highway 401 area after being seen at Queen's Homecoming festivities earlier in the day.

Investigators have been attempting to speak with partygoers who may have interacted with the two victims on Saturday in order to help establish a motive, but it's unclear whether Soubliere's apparent criminal past may have played a part.

“We also are aware that the victims attended Kingston earlier in the day, and spent some time in the University District during the homecoming festivities," Constable Fisher said in a press conference.

"Through our investigation, we’re aware that they have interacted with several people while they were there, and that people in that area may have observed or interacted with the victims themselves.”

Fisher also pleaded for anyone who may have dashcam footage or other personal observation to come forward and to let police themselves decide how relevant it may be.

In 2012; Soubliere, two women, and a man all aged twenty or under went on trial for the murder of 24-year old Joey Faubert.

Soubliere was eventually sentenced to eight years for manslaughter.

It's unclear how or when Soubliere was moved into Parrtown Community Correctional Centre, a halfway house, but in 2018 he cut off his ankle monitor bracelet and fled the facility.

A source from social media claimed to have firsthand knowledge that Soubliere had in fact been caught, served his sentence and was subsequently released.

However, as of March 2019, Soubliere was still unlawfully at large and since that point there has been no update to his whereabouts.

Corrections Canada also told YGKNews that Soubliere has never been under their jurisdiction.

Saint John Police and Parrtown Correctional Community Centre were contacted for clarification, but did not get back in time for publication.

Anyone with information from this weekend is asked to call 613-549-4660, or email crimetips@kingstonpolice.ca

Owen Fullerton, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, YGK News

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting