Ukraine war: Man, 96, who survived four Nazi concentration camps killed during Russian attack on Kharkiv

A 96-year-old who survived being held in four concentration camps during the Second World War has been killed during the Russian attack on Kharkiv.

Boris Romanchenko, who lived through Nazi imprisonment at Buchenwald, Peenemunde, Dora and Bergen-Belsen, was killed on Friday in the block of flats where he lived.

Germany's Buchenwald concentration camp memorial said on Twitter it had been told of the news by his granddaughter.

Ukraine war live updates: Bodies laid out on pavement as Kyiv shopping centre hit

It added: "Boris Romanchenko worked intensively on the memory of Nazi crimes and was vice-president of the Buchenwald-Dora International Committee.

"In 2012, Boris Romanchenko read the Buchenwald oath 'creating a new world where peace and freedom reign' during the celebration of the anniversary of the liberation of the Buchenwald concentration camp."

Key developments:

• Kremlin: There needs to be significant progress on talks for Vladimir Putin to meet Volodymyr Zelenskyy face-to-face
• Joe Biden will travel to Poland this week to discuss "humanitarian and human rights crisis"
• Ukraine's nuclear regulatory agency says radiation monitors around Chernobyl have stopped working
• Ammonia leak at a chemical plant on the outskirts of the eastern city of Sumy now contained
10,200 visas have been issued under the Ukraine Family Scheme, says the Home Office

Follow the Daily podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Spreaker

Kharkiv - a short drive from the border with Russia - has come under an unrelenting Russian assault.

Over the weekend, at least five civilians were killed.

Regional police said victims of the artillery attack on Sunday included a nine-year-old boy.

Sky correspondent John Sparks travelled with the Ukrainian military to the front line on the outskirts of the city and described the "air filled with the deep-sounding boom of tank and artillery fire".