In another rambling, campaign-style speech, President Donald Trump boasted at a Thursday news conference about bringing “back” incandescent light bulbs — while failing again to offer a plan to stem the record-breaking wrath of COVID-19.
Trump also bragged about “stopping the egregious abuse of the Clean Water Act” when he last year rolled back pollution protections for the nation’s waterways.
When “I signed that legislation I had many farmers and construction workers standing behind me; people that haven’t cried since they were a baby,” he said. “Some of them never even when they were a baby, and they were crying. We gave ’em back their life.”
As for the incandescent lightbulbs, which Trump apparently considers a highlight of his administration, he noted: “I brought ’em back. They have two nice qualities: They’re cheaper and they’re better. They look better, they make you look so much better. That’s important to all of us.”
Incandescent bulbs never vanished and weren’t brought back. Trump did eliminate energy efficiency standards for many common lightbulbs, but incandescent bulbs have largely been replaced by cheap, long-lasting and efficient LED bulbs. Trump, however, claimed the old-style bulbs are “selling like hotcakes.”
🚨 TEARS ALERT 🚨— Aaron Rupar (@atrupar) July 16, 2020
"People that haven't cried since they were a baby. Some of them never even when they were a baby, and they were crying" pic.twitter.com/1kk0yTOEwL
People who listened to the president’s remarks were stunned.
People cried because they were able to pollute our environment again? What a great story. 🤦♂️— My Pal Joe (@joe_w3) July 16, 2020
Is he on mushrooms?— Odd Jock (@oddjock) July 16, 2020
130,000 dead and counting... and the president is patting himself on the back for bringing back incandescent lightbulbs and allowing corporations to pollute more https://t.co/myk39dLJqa— Hayley Miller (@hayleymiller01) July 16, 2020
I for one am v thankful we once again have free and easy access to shitty light bulbs and dirty water— generation hex (@queenneen13) July 16, 2020
I find myself saying, "wtf is he even talking about," multiple times a day.— Arilyn (@arilyn123) July 16, 2020
They didn't even cry as babies! Pretty unusual.— X Soviet (@XSovietNews) July 16, 2020
Incandescent light bulbs were never gone...— CarolLynn Sane (@carollynnsane) July 16, 2020
And I mean who the heck wants or needs CLEAN WATER???? This from the King of the Swamp!!
A HuffPost Guide To Coronavirus
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- 7 essential pieces of relationship advice for couples in quarantine
- What you need to know about face masks right now
- How to tell if you need to start doing online therapy
- Lost your job due to coronavirus? Here’s what you need to know.
- Parenting during the coronavirus crisis?
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.
- Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism without a paywall — and keep it free for everyone — by becoming a HuffPost member today.
Also on HuffPost
This article originally appeared on HuffPost and has been updated.