Transfer notebook: Douglas Luiz likely to sign three-year Aston Villa contract

·3 min read
Aston Villa's midfielder Douglas Luiz looks eyes the ball during the friendly football match between Stade Rennais and Aston Villa, at the Roazhon Park stadium in Rennes, western France on July 30, 2022 - AFP
Aston Villa's midfielder Douglas Luiz looks eyes the ball during the friendly football match between Stade Rennais and Aston Villa, at the Roazhon Park stadium in Rennes, western France on July 30, 2022 - AFP

Douglas Luiz is set to sign a new three-year contract at Aston Villa.

There has been interest from other Premier League clubs - and others competing in the Champions League - for the Brazil international but he will commit his future to Villa.

Luiz is regarded as a key part of Steven Gerrard’s plans – with the manager describing him as a “top talent” - and with his current deal due to expire at the end of this season. The 24-year-old, who was signed from Manchester City for £15 million in 2019, has agreed terms on a new contract and an announcement is believed to be imminent.

As previously reported by Telegraph Sport, Villa instigated talks with Luiz earlier this year when the January transfer window closed, after rejecting a £30m offer from a rival Premier League club understood to be Newcastle United. Manchester United are among the clubs understood to have considered making a bid this summer.

With long-term target Leeds midfielder Kalvin Phillips moving to Manchester City for £45 million, and another previous target Yves Bissouma joining Tottenham Hotspur from Brighton for up to £35m, securing the future of Luiz became even more of a priority.

Last week Gerrard said there were “tentative talks” ongoing between Villa and Luiz’s representatives but they have now progressed to the point where there is confidence that a new three-year contract will be signed.

“I think Douglas has had a really positive pre-season,” Gerrard said last week before the season’s opening Premier League game away to Bournemouth. “I think he’s happy at Aston Villa. He’s got a year left. I think there’s tentative talks at the moment that are ongoing.

“We like the player a lot. We think he’s a big talent. He’s at a fantastic age. But we’re respectful of the player as well. We don’t want to put too much pressure there.”

Mari and Alex Runarssson on the way out of Arsenal as Bellerin discussions continue

Arsenal have been keen to clear out their unwanted players this summer and the outgoings are now gathering pace, with Pablo Mari and Alex Runarsson both set to leave the club imminently.

Mari is currently finalising a loan move to Italian side Monza, who will be obligated to buy the centre-back if they avoid relegation this season. Backup goalkeeper Runarsson, meanwhile, is closing in on a move to Turkey.

The expected departures of the two fringe players follows the sale of midfielder Lucas Torreira to Galatasaray, which was confirmed earlier this week, and Bernd Leno’s permanent move to Fulham.

Arsenal are believed to have made around £5m from the deal for Torreira, who had one year remaining on his contract in north London.

Discussions are ongoing over the future of full-back Hector Bellerin, who is keen to return to Spain. Bellerin spent last season on loan at Real Betis and is thought to be desperate to re-join the Spanish club.

Reiss Nelson and Ainsley Maitland-Niles could also leave before the end of the transfer window, with Arsenal keen to create space in the squad, and on the wage bill, for potential new signings. Another player who will be allowed to leave is winger Nicolas Pepe, although his high wages could prove prohibitive as Arsenal look to find a buyer for their record signing.