Indian startups have attracted funding of more than in the pandemic year 2020. This does not include around $22 billion funding received by digital and retail arms of Reliance Industries. India maintained its 4th rank in the year after the US, UK and China.
The early start-ups like Zomato and Paytm are likely to tap the IPO markets soon to raise funds. There has never been a better ecosystem for startups in India.
Indian tech startups have raised a whopping in the first five months of 2021 itself, roughly 80% of the funding that startups raised in 2020. In the first five months of this year, have made it to the unicorn club compared to 11 in 2020.
Which are the ten most valued startups in India? It includes a mix of B2B (companies that sell a product or service to another company) and B2C (company selling a product or service directly to the consumer) startups.
1. Flipkart tops the list with a $24.9 billion valuation. It is one of the leading e-commerce marketplaces in India along with Amazon and JioMart. US retail giant Walmart Inc picked up a 77% stake in Flipkart for $16 billion in 2018. Flipkart also owns PhonePe, a competitor to Paytm and Google Pay.
2. Byjus with a valuation of $16.5 billion is second on the list. It is one of the world’s leading edtech companies providing learning programs for students in LKG, UKG, classes 1 -12 (K-12) and competitive exams like JEE, NEET and IAS.
3. Paytm with a valuation of $16 billion is third on the list. It is a payment gateway that provides services to merchants and allows consumers to make seamless mobile payments from cards, bank accounts, and digital credit among others.
4. OYO with a valuation of $8.4 billion is fourth on the list. It operates a network of hotels around the world designed to offer standardized stay experiences mostly in the affordable segment category.
Top 10 most valued startups (in billion dollars)
5. Ola with a valuation of $6.7 billion is fifth on the list. It is a ride-hailing platform that connects customers with driver partners in a city or locality. It allows customers to book a range of cabs, auto-rickshaws, bikes, and shuttle buses.
6. Zomato with a valuation of $5.4 billion is sixth on the list. It is a food delivery platform that has tied up with thousands of restaurants across the country to provide meals at your doorstep. Swiggy is its competitor.
7. Dream11 with a valuation of $5 billion is seventh on the list. It is India’s biggest fantasy sports platform with 10 Crore plus users playing fantasy cricket, football, kabaddi, basketball, hockey, volleyball, handball, futsal, rugby & baseball.
8. Swiggy with a valuation of $4.6 billion is eighth on the list. It is a food delivery platform similar to Zomato.
9. Browser Stack with a valuation of $4 billion is ninth on the list. It is a software testing platform powering over two million tests every day across 15 global data centers. It helps Microsoft, Twitter, Barclays, Expedia, and over 25,000 customers deliver quality software at speed by moving testing to their Cloud.
10. Freshworks with a valuation of $3.5 billion is tenth on the list. Freshworks provides businesses with SaaS customer engagement solutions. It provides innovative customer engagement software for businesses of all sizes, making it easy for teams to acquire and close deals.
Dream11 is the latest most valuable startup entry to the unicorn club. It joined the esteemed league in 2019.
Accel Partners is a key investor in 4 of the Top 10 startups followed by Tiger Global (3), Sequoia Capital and Softbank (2 each).