Three remain in custody after baby deaths

Three remain in custody after baby deaths

An investigation is continuing into the deaths of two babies whose bodies were found in a house.

Three people remain in police custody following the discovery at an end-of-terrace property in Wildmill, Bridgend.

South Wales Police said two men, aged 37 and 47, and a 29-year-old woman have been arrested on suspicion of concealing the birth of a child.

Magistrates have granted detectives a further 36 hours of detention to question those in custody.

Officers are also awaiting the results of post mortem examinations and forensic tests to determine the causes of the deaths.

Forensic examiners were at the three-storey house in Maes-Y-Felin and a grassed area at the rear of the street has been cordoned off.

Huw David, leader of Bridgend County Borough Council, said: “This is shocking and tragic news, and the residents of Wildmill are supporting one another closely while South Wales Police carry out their ongoing investigations.

“The council is offering the police its full co-operation, and is reminding people of the importance of remaining calm and avoiding speculation while the investigation is under way.

“If anyone has any information that they think may be relevant or helpful to the police, it can be reported directly to them by completing an online form.

“In the meantime, if any member of the public has a concern about the immediate wellbeing or safety of a child, they should report it immediately by calling 999.”

In a joint statement, Steven Bletsoe, Steven Easterbrook and Tim Wood, who represent the area on Bridgend County Borough Council, said: “South Wales Police need to be able to carry out their investigations and the Bridgend Central councillors are here to support the community in any way at this difficult time.”

Forensic officers are at the three-storey property (Rod Minchin/PA)
Forensic officers are at the three-storey property (Rod Minchin/PA)

Detective Superintendent Darren George said: “Our thoughts go out to anyone affected by this traumatic incident.

“I would also like to thank the local community for their patience, given the significant police activity in the area over the past 36 hours.

“In addition, I want to remind members of the public to demonstrate responsibility when sharing information through social media and other means.

“Some information has been both upsetting for people connected to the incident and could compromise the investigation.”