The Duchess of Sussex’s estranged father, Thomas Markle, says he wants to apologise to the Queen.
The former lighting director features in a new Channel Five documentary, in which he talks about his strained relationship with his daughter Meghan and her husband Prince Harry.
In a preview clip from the programme, Markle - who has repeatedly spoken to the press despite his daughter's pleas for him not to do so - explains how he fears he will never speak to Meghan again.
The father and daughter's strained relationship began before the royal wedding, after much speculation over whether Markle would walk her down the aisle. Subsequently, he didn’t attend the wedding after suffering a heart attack.
He said: “I want to apologise to the Queen and to the royal family. I want to do that and I was told by them ‘don’t’.”
He also claimed that the media’s portrayal of him had been unfair, which is why he wanted to make this new documentary.
“I want everyone to know that I’m not all the trashy things that are being said about me. I want Harry and Meghan to see this video and know that this is not fair,” he explained.
During the interview, the 75-year-old goes on to accuse his daughter of “cheapening” the British monarchy, after Buckingham Palace announced that Harry and Meghan would be stepping back as senior royals and dividing their time between the UK and Canada.
“The last time they might see me is being lowered into the ground,” Markle says, “I don’t think at this point they are thrilled to see me or want to talk to me.”
The majority of the documentary was recorded over six days at Markle's home in Mexico in October 2019.
Thomas Markle: My Story will be broadcast at 9pm on Channel 5 on Wednesday 22 January.
Like this article? Sign up to our new newsletter to get more articles like this delivered straight to your inbox.
You Might Also Like