Terry Scott, Missouri Track and Field Hall of Fame inductee and coach, dies at 57

·7 min read

Terry Scott, Track and Field Hall of Fame inductee and coach, dies at 57

The halls of many Kansas City area schools are filled with accolades of students who ran track and field coached by the legendary Terry Scott.

His track resume speaks for itself as the high-school champion in Missouri for 100-meter and 200-meter races, the 30-year record holder for the 100-meter race Missouri and the 25-year record holder for the University of Tennessee’s men’s 100-meter race.

Olympic champion Justin Gatlin broke Scott’s U of T record in 2001 while Raytown South alum and Olympian Maurice Mitchell broke Scott’s state 100-meter record in 2007.

“Everyone called him the ‘speed guru’ and ‘TeeSki’, because his legs moved so fast it looked like he was skiing,” Menka Scott, Terry’s wife, said.

With gold after gold, the track and field phenom turned coach and mentor is responsible for several champions in the sport across the Kansas City metro.

“He would always tell me stories that inspired me to become an NCAA champion and Olympian. I wouldn’t be here if it were not for him,” Mitchell said.

Scott’s wife said he coached more than 300 kids to college scholarships in track and field, football, basketball, baseball, tennis and swimming.

“He believed in giving back. One of his mottoes was ‘Each one teach one,’” said Menka. “He always said ‘Someone helped him, so I have to help others,’ and that’s exactly what he did.”

Scott died Nov. 14 at St. Luke’s East Hospital. He was 57.

Born on June 23, 1964, to Robert Henry Scott Jr. and Sarah Scott, he was the oldest child of three. He was educated in the Kansas City Public School District, graduating from Southeast High School in 1982.

Terry Scott
Terry Scott

Active in sports in high-school and college, Scott was a member of the football and track and field teams.

After graduating from high school, Scott attended the University of Tennessee – Knoxville where he obtained a bachelor’s degree in education.

Family says he won multiple state titles in the 100 and 200-meters dash in high school and while at the U of T, he excelled to a world class athlete competing and traveling around the world, representing Team USA. He also participated in multiple Olympic trials and world games.

“We met at the Olympic trials and were UT college sweethearts,” Menka said.

Terry SCott
Terry SCott

She says he loved track & field because it’s a team sport and an individual sport.

“It’s not political, no one has to make a decision or judgment call. Whoever crossed the line first was the winner,” Menka said.

Scott became a gold medalist in 1983 at the World Championships in Helsinki. In 1985, he became the NCAA 100-meter champion.

He furthered his education, graduating from the University of Missouri- Kansas City with a Master’s in education.

As a product of Kansas City public schools, family says Scott would say how most kids were not bad – but in bad situations. He became an educator to give back to kids he felt were underserved. He then took his passion for track and field and provided world class coaching to kids who may not not have had access to such resources.

“He’s always said there’s so much talent out there, but not enough people who can make them try hard and believe in themselves,” Menka said. “Most teachers and coaches these days are afraid of these kids, but he wasn’t and the kids loved him for that.”

Scott coached at high schools in Knoxville, Tennessee and in Kansas City, Missouri including at Ruskin, Raytown South and University Academy. Terry and Menka also coached together, including their daughter, Mikah who is a Missouri track & field state qualifier and accomplished sprinter.

“He always told Mikah ‘The race isn’t over until you cross the finish line,’” Menka said.

Scott is also member of the Missouri State Track and Field Hall of Fame, but most notably he was inducted into the University of Tennessee Hall of Fame.

Family says his legacy will be remembered as a mentor and life changer. Scott went out of his way to help others believe they could achieve.

His dedication to serving others was recognized during his funeral as he was honored with proclamations from County Executive Frank White, the Kansas City’s City Council and Missouri House of Representatives.

“I will miss him most for being a great husband, father, brother, son and friend to so many people,” Menka said.

He leaves behind his wife of 36 years, Menka Scott; his daughter, Mikah Scott, his mother Sarah Scott, and siblings James Scott and Rochelle Butler. He leaves a host of uncles, aunts, nephews and nieces, family and friends who he considered to be family.

Arthur Irby Greene, U.S. Army Veteran, dies at 92

Arthur Irby Greene, Sr., was born on August 19, 1929 in Laurens, South Carolina.

He was educated in Laurens, South Carolina public schools. After high school he enlisted in the U. S. Army, serving for two years. While in the military, he was a firefighter. Family says he received several awards and honors while enlisted.

Arthur Greene
Arthur Greene

Greene relocated to the Kansas City area where he made his home for over 50 years. He was a member of the Mount Vernon Missionary Baptist Church under the leadership of the late Rev. Emanuel A. Johnson and current Pastor Rev. Donald W. Givens.

He was united in marriage to Willow Greene. He was employed at Montgomery Ward Company as an auto mechanic until he retired. After retirement he worked for the YMCA.

Greene died Nov. 20.

Family says he was a loving father and friend to many and will be greatly missed by all who knew him. He enjoyed spending time with his children and fishing.

He leaves behind two sons, Arthur Greene, Jr. and Avery Greene, one daughter, Theresa Greene, and a host of other relatives and friends.

William Lee Jackson, owner of SayMan’s Hamburgers, dies at 93

William Lee Jackson was born on March 13, 1928, in Armstrong, Missouri, to James and Hattie Jackson. He was the eldest of two boys.

When he was a young man, the family moved to Sioux City, Iowa, where he graduated from Central High School in 1947. In 1950, he was drafted into the United States Army to serve in the Korean War.

After being honorably discharged in 1952, Jackson moved to Kansas City, Missouri, where he met Marjorie Gregg. In 1954, William and Marjorie got married. They had four children.

In 1960, the Jacksons opened a local restaurant called SayMan’s Hamburgers with the famous tagline “Say Man! How about a Hamburger?” Family says William’s entrepreneurial spirit and strong work ethic set in motion a 14-year business that came to be known as one of the most famous legacies in Kansas City.

William Jackson
William Jackson

In addition to owning a successful business, William also worked for the United States Postal Service. Upon retirement, he returned to his entrepreneurial roots by investing and managing rental properties while working other odd jobs.

He accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as his personal savior in the late 1950s and grew to be an Elder in the Gospel Hall in Kansas City, Missouri. Family says he was a steadfast patriarch to his children, grand children, and great-grand children, known for his firm but fair parenting style with a moral compass that guided them to know God, be humble and respect each other.

Jackson died Nov. 15.

He leaves behind three daughters and one son, Pamela Rabon, Carol Armstrong, Steven Jackson and Sherry Robinson; eight grandchildren; sixteen great-grandchildren; two great-great grandchildren; one brother, Arthur Jackson; and a host of nephews, nieces, cousins, brethren and sisters in Christ and friends.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting