Father of teen arrested with AK47 in New York subway station was killed in police shootout

Gustaf Kilander and Danielle Zoellner
·2 min read
<p>Saadiq Teague, 18, was charged with several counts after he pulled out an AK-47 on the platform at New York’s Time Square subway station on Friday</p> (Reuters)

Saadiq Teague, 18, was charged with several counts after he pulled out an AK-47 on the platform at New York’s Time Square subway station on Friday


The father of the teenager who was charged for bringing an AK-47 assault rifle into New York’s Times Square subway station was killed in a police shootout with Ohio officers last week, the New York Post reports.

Andrew Teague, 43, was shot by police on 3 March after he was pursued on Interstate 270 in Columbus, Ohio.

The pursuit started when authorities attempted to arrest the man for a felonious assault warrant from an incident on 2 February, and Mr Teague attempted to flee.

Police then chased the man for one hour before Mr Teague exited his vehicle and exchanged gunshots with officers. The suspect was shot during the exchange, WBNS-TV reported.

This comes as Mr Teague’s son was arrested in the New York subway on Friday for possession of an AK-47 assault rifle and gas mask, according to law enforcement.

Saadiq Teague, 18, was taken into custody without incident around 12:30pm on Friday. Police charged him with two counts of criminal possession of a weapon, two counts of criminal possession in the third degree, and one count of criminal use of drug paraphernalia, among other charges, following his arrest.

He was apprehended on the mezzanine level of the Times Square subway station by the turnstiles leading to the A, C, and E line, New York Daily News reported.

The man was sitting down and charging his phone in the station with the firearm next to him out in the open for all to see when he was noticed by a transit police officer.

While the rifle was not loaded, the man did have a full magazine in his backpack along with the gas mask.

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.

According to The New York Post, a police source said the teen told officers that he thought that carrying an unloaded rifle with the ammunition separate from the weapon was legal in New York City.

Officers approached the subject and questioned his intentions. The suspect reportedly claimed he had a permit for the weapon in Ohio.

Police have not revealed why the suspect had the weapon and loaded magazines in his possession.

New York Police Commissioner Dermot Shea congratulated the officers involved in the routine patrol of the subway station for their ability to arrest the suspect without incident.

“This story could’ve had a tragically different ending, but thanks to these diligent cops it ends with the suspect in handcuffs,” Mr Shea wrote in a tweet on Friday.