A new Talking Preps debuts Tuesday, Sept. 27, at 8 p.m. (replays after). On tap:
▪ We discuss how Hurricane Ian is forcing major changes to the high school football schedule and how school districts are reacting.
▪ We’ll remember Mallard Creek coach Ralph Hammond, who was tragically killed last week as well as discuss the controversy surrounding last week’s West Charlotte-West Meck game. You’ll hear from both coaches, and Dale has some thoughts on how to improve officiating.
▪ Speaking of West Charlotte and West Meck, we discussed last week how having two 3A teams in the state’s top 4A league might not be the best thing. Gary and Dale have some ideas on how CMS could restructure it leagues.
▪ Alex will discuss how parents in Garner were upset with their football coach after he directed his players to not shake hands after last week’s 49-0 loss to Clayton. We’ll show you the video of what happened after the game.
▪ Alex also has thoughts on why the “eight quarter rule” should be eliminated in conference play.
▪ Grice introduces the NC players of the week, his Grice’s Gems: South View’s Rashad Dockery, Pinecrest’s Jaylin Morgan, Grimsley’s Ryan Stephens, Salisbury’s JyMikaah Wells and Hough’s Anthony Walker.
Grice and Chris also introduce four new stars of tomorrow, the Fresh Faces: Hickory Grove’s Anthony Hawkins, East Duplin’s Kade Kennedy, Maiden’s Wesley Thompson and Providence’s Billy Wilkes.
▪ Sam debuts a new segment, “Frontline Warrior,” where he will feature a linemen each week. For Week 1, he sits down with Providence Day’s Tyson Moorer. Chelsea’s World features Ardrey Kell star Joshua Clemons, who talks about wanting to be a pilot as well as facing rival Myers Park this week.
▪ Also we’ve got new state rankings, Alex’s games to watch, a Mr. Football Update and Grice breaks down the NC Eastern (Heritage at Millbrook) and Western (Crest at South Point) games of the week.
▪ Finally, in ‘Coach vs. Coach,’ Gary sits in for Sam and faces off with Grice. Topics? Does home field matter when choosing to go for 2 to win? Besides the score, what’s the most important stat in high school ball; and best uniform combos: all white on the road, or single color at home?
How to watch/listen
Watch the show, beginning at 8 p.m., right here on this page — or on The Charlotte Observer’s Twitter, Facebook or YouTube pages. It is also available on the News & Observer’s Twitter, Facebook and YouTube. Talking Preps and Talking Preps are also available wherever you get your podcasts, including Apple, Megaphone and Spotify.