The Miami Marlins gave a slew of injury and transaction updates prior to their series opener against the Milwaukee Brewers on Thursday at American Family Field.
Here’s the rundown:
▪ Right-handed pitcher Sixto Sanchez, who has not pitched in a live game since 2020, has surgery scheduled on Oct. 5 with Dr. Neal ElAttrache for right shoulder arthroscopic bursectomy. He’s expected to be back for spring training.
▪ First baseman/designated hitter Garrett Cooper has been placed on the 10-day injured list andis back in Miami to see a hand doctor after the pinkie in his left hand was fractured when he was hit by a pitch on Tuesday.
▪ Right-handed pitcher Edward Cabrera (right ankle) threw an 18-pitch bullpen session that pitching coach Mel Stottlemyre Jr. said went well. The plan for now is for Cabrera to make his start as scheduled on Saturday.
▪ Shortstop Miguel Rojas (wrist) worked out with the team pregame Thursday but was not in the starting lineup.
▪ Right-handed pitcher Tommy Nance (groin), infielder Joey Wendle (hamstring) and Avisail Garcia (hamstring) were activated from the injured list.
▪ Outfielder Jesus Sanchez was recalled.
▪ Left-handed relief pitcher Steven Okert has been placed on the 15-day injured list with left triceps tightness.
▪ Utility player Luke Williams and outfielder Jerar Encarnacion have been optioned to Triple A Jacksonville, but they will remain with the team in Milwaukee since the minor-league season has ended.