Sarah Jessica Parker, Jesse Tyler Ferguson post positive messages after being impacted by Broadway shutdown

Suzy Byrne
Editor, Yahoo Entertainment

Sarah Jessica Parker is among those impacted by Broadway’s sudden shuttering amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The Sex and the City alum, with husband Matthew Broderick, were set to bring Plaza Suite, a Neil Simon comedy, to the Great White Way, with previews to start Friday. However, amid the outbreak, New York State Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced a ban on gatherings of more than 500 people throughout the state (Broadway theaters have around 1,500 seats), which went into effect Thursday at 5pm. As of now, shows are expected to resume April 13.

Parker reacted to the news on Instagram, sharing photos of the stage looking ready, but cloths covering the furnishings, and the marquee showing the now pushed-back preview date of March 13.

“Broadway doesn't stay quiet for long,” the ever optimistic New Yorker promised. “We will be back...Times Square will hustle and bustle. And we will be ready to swing open the doors of the beautiful Hudson Theatre and share an afternoon or evening together.”

Parker said they will “count the days until the marquees are once again lit,” but, for now, she wants people to “think of all those affected and hope for everyone's good health.”

And that includes her own sister-in-law, Matthew’s sister Janet Broderick, who tested positive for the coronavirus. A 64-year-old rector at All Saints Episcopal Church in Beverly Hills, Calif., she fell ill after attending the Consortium of Endowed Episcopal Parishes conference in Louisville, Ky. — the same event at which another attendee was diagnosed with the COVID-19 virus.

Matthew Broderick and his sister, the Rev. Janet Broderick, in 2018. (Photo: Bobby Bank/Getty Images)

Parker and Broderick, who have been married since 1997, have been working on the revival since last year. In it, they play three different couples, and did a brief pre-Broadway run last month in Boston. The show was to run for 17 weeks — now, barring more setbacks, 13.

This will mark the first time they’ve worked onstage together since 1996, when Parker joined the cast of his already-running How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.

Similarly, Jesse Tyler Ferguson’s post-Modern Family run in a Broadway revival of Take Me Out — with Suits’s Patrick J. Adams and Grey’s Anatomy’s Jesse Williams — is pushed back. It was supposed to begin previews April 2.

Ferguson said they would continue rehearsing while “taking care of each other” amid the shutdown, adding, “All us Take Me Out boys are sending love to the entire theater community!” And that community is facing hard times. It’s expected the shutdown will cost tens of millions of dollars for investors and artists and associated businesses — and many productions could shutter.

There have been lots of reactions to the news of the shutdown of Broadway, with its “the show must go on” mentality through “wars and recessions and all forms of darkness.” Here is what other some stars have shared:


Read more on Yahoo Entertainment:

Want daily pop culture news delivered to your inbox? Sign up here for Yahoo Entertainment & Lifestyle's newsletter.