Advertisement

Rose Hanbury Calls Out Stephen Colbert for His Jokes About Those Prince William Affair Rumors

Stephen Pond/Getty Images

Lady Rose Hanbury was not amused by Stephen Colbert's jokes about those Prince William affair rumors from 2019. Days after reportedly sharing her first statement on the subject, Hanbury's lawyers anounced that they reached out to CBS and other media outlets regarding the late-night host's opening monologue on March 12.

Prior to Kate Middleton's revelation that she's undergoing treatments for cancer, there were many conspiracy theories about her monthslong absence from the public eye. On his show Colbert pointed that some “internet sleuths” were connecting the “seeming disappearance” of the Princess of Wales with old rumors that Prince William had an affair with Lady Rose Hanbury, the Marchioness of Cholmondeley. Hanbury has three children with husband David Cholmondeley.

A few days following the episode, her lawyers addressed the speculation, telling Business Insider that “the rumors are completely false.”

Celebrity News

The actor deleted the post and issued an apology.

In a new statement shared by Vanity Fair on March 22, the Marchioness of Cholmondeley's lawyers reiterated that stance, calling out Colbert's late-night show specifically. “The rumor appears to have entered into the mainstream media recently as a result of another joke made about it on The Late Show With Stephen Colbert,” Hanbury’s lawyers said. “We have written on our client’s behalf to CBS and various other reputable media organizations to confirm that the allegation is false.”

During his opening monologue, Colbert shared old headlines about Prince William's alleged infidelity, joking, “According to tabloids back then, when Kate supposedly confronted him about it, he laughed it off, saying there was nothing to it. Always a good response when your wife accuses you of cheating.”

On March 22, Kate Middleton shared that she had been diagnosed with cancer after her abdominal surgery in January. “This of course came as a huge shock and William and I have been doing everything we can to process and manage this privately for the sake of our young family. As you can imagine this has taken time,” the Princess of Wales said in the video. “It has taken me time to recover from major surgery in order to start my treatment, but most importantly, it has taken us time to explain everything to George, Charlotte, and Louis in a way that is appropriate for them and to reassure them that I’m going to be okay.”

She continued, “As I’ve said to them, I am well and getting stronger every day by focusing on the things that will help me heal in my mind, body, and spirits. Having William by my side is a great source of comfort and reassurance too. As is the love, support, and kindness that has been shown by so many of you. It means so much to us both.”

Middleton went on to ask the public for “time, space, and privacy” as she continues her treatments.

For months the internet has been cracking jokes, making memes, and forming unwieldy theories about Middleton’s whereabouts. She finally had no choice but to reveal she’s been waging a private health battle. It’s hard not to wish we’d given her the privacy she deserved.


Originally Appeared on Glamour