Bacteria sounds like something we don’t want in our bodies. But, as health experts note, we need “good” bacteria in our systems to eliminate infection-causing bacteria. “Probiotic-supplements are a way to add good bacteria to your body,” according to The Cleveland Clinic.
So why is a probiotic on the recall hit list?
This one may have a microorganism you — and your dog or cat— don’t want.
Why is this probiotic a problem?
Livia Global, a health and wellness company that produces LiviaOne Liquid Probiotics and BioLifePet Liquid Probiotics, announced a recall of two lots of its liquid probiotics due to the possibility of contamination by Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
Pseudomonas aeruginosa is a microorganism found in the environment that, if ingested, can cause life-threatening infection in immunocompromised people, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
P. aeruginosa infections are generally limited to hospital settings. Multidrug-resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa caused an estimated 32,600 infections among hospitalized patients and 2,700 estimated deaths in the United States according to a 2019 report, the CDC said.
What is being recalled?
The Livia Global recall affects the lot number, 001005-1 , and a best by date of 04/2023 and LiviaOne Nasal Probiotics with a lot number, 010620-1, and a best by date of 08/2023.
These are the following ship dates:
▪ LiviaOne Daily Probiotics, 2 ounce, UPC 030915 107112, ship dates 04/16/2021 – 08/30/2021 (1067 units).
▪ LiviaOne Daily Probiotics 4 ounce, UPC 030915 107167, ship dates 07/09/2021 – 08/30/2021 (384 units).
▪ LiviaOne Topical Spray Probiotics 4 ounce, UPC 030915 107105, ship dates 07/08/2021 – 07/30/2021 (571 units).
▪ LiviaOne Nasal Probiotics 1 ounce, UPC 030915 107198, ship dates 04/21/2021 – 05/12/2021 (480 units).
▪ LiviaOne Nasal Probiotics 1 ounce, UPC 030915 107198, ship dates 07/14/2021 – 08/24/2021 (600 units).
▪ LiviaOne Nasal Probiotics 1 ounce, lot number 010620-1, UPC 030915 107198, ship dates 10/27/2021 – 11/25/2021 (50 units).
▪ BioLifePet Probiotics for Cats, UPC 030915 107044, ship dates 05/05/2021 – 07/26/2021 (128 units).
▪ BioLifePet Probiotics for Dogs, UPC 030915 107037, ship dates 05/05/2021 – 08/25/2021 (128 units).
Lot numbers are located on the side of the bottle and on the bottom of the outer container. No other lots or ship dates or any other LiviaOne products are affected by this recall.
The products are distributed nationwide through Amazon, wholesale and direct sales from the company’s website.
Livia discovered the potential issue during routine third-party lab testing.
As of the Dec. 1 recall, the company had not received complaints from customers using their products, according to the U.S. FDA posting.
“We apologize for any concern or inconvenience this situation causes our customers and are here to support them,” said Livia Global’s Deborah Moreno, chief operations officer.
What you should do
The company asks that consumers who have the affected products not use them and dispose of them. Contact Livia Global Customer Care to request a full refund and have the order number available.
For information, contact Moreno at 559-372-8593 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Hours of operations are 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Pacific Monday-Friday.