Prince William and Kate Middleton reportedly refused to speak to Prince Harry after Prince Philip's funeral in case the conversation was leaked

·2 min read
At left, Prince William and Kate Middleton at Prince Philip's funeral. At right, Harry at Philip's funeral.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, left, and the Duke of Sussex at Prince Philip's funeral on April 17. Yui Mok/WPA Pool/Getty Image, Victoria Jones/WPA Pool/Getty Images
  • Kate Middleton and Prince William reportedly saw "no point" in speaking to Harry after Philip's funeral.

  • In a new book, the royal historian Robert Lacey said they feared the conversation would be leaked.

  • They thought Meghan Markle might leak the conversation to Oprah, Lacey reported.

  • Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge didn't speak to Prince Harry after Prince Philip's funeral in April over fears that the conversation would be leaked, according to the royal historian Robert Lacey.

Lacey wrote about the funeral in the updated version of his book "Battle of Brothers: William, Harry and the Inside Story of a Family in Tumult," set to be released on Thursday. The Times published an excerpt on Tuesday.

William and Harry were initially separated by their cousin Peter Phillips, who walked between them during the funeral procession.

But the brothers were photographed speaking together after the funeral, which some media outlets speculated could signal the end of a rift.

Lacey wrote that reports of the family attending a two-hour conference or "mini summit" of reconciliation after the ceremony were false.

"William and Kate, after saying goodbye to Charles, who headed to Wales where he had been mourning at his Llandovery estate, went back to Kensington Palace together to put the children to bed," Lacey wrote.

"They told friends that they could see no point in talking to Harry, since any discussion of substance would go straight back to Meghan to be leaked out via Oprah or some other tentacle of the Sussex network that had not stopped spreading stories in the weeks since the interview that the couple's friends had promised would be their final word," he added.

Only 30 guests attended the funeral at St. George's Chapel on April 17 because of the country's COVID-19 restrictions.

It was the first time the Duke of Sussex had reunited with the royals after his interview with Oprah in March, where he said some members of the family had had racist conversations about his son's skin color before he was born.

Representatives for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and the Duke of Sussex declined to comment when contacted by Insider.

Read the original article on Insider

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting