Prince Philip, the 99-year-old husband of Queen Elizabeth, has been hospitalized. Last week, Buckingham Palace confirmed he was admitted to the King Edward VII Hospital in London on Tuesday evening.
"The Duke’s admission is a precautionary measure, on the advice of His Royal Highness’s Doctor, after feeling unwell," reads a statement from a palace spokesperson. "The Duke is expected to remain in hospital for a few days of observation and rest."
It is understood that the illness is not COVID-19-related, and that Prince Philip traveled to the hospital by car. It was not an emergency admission, and he walked into the hospital unaided.
On Friday, a source confirmed to Town & Country that Philip will "likely" remain in the hospital for a number of days. "Following a consultation with his doctor The Duke of Edinburgh is likely to remain in the hospital for observation and rest over the weekend and into next week. As we have said previously the doctor is acting with an abundance of caution. The Duke remains in good spirits."
Queen Elizabeth remains at Windsor Castle, where she and Prince Philip have been social distancing during recent months, and where they both received their COVID-19 vaccinations earlier this year.
On Monday morning, Prince William gave an update on his grandfather: "He's okay," William said during a visit to a vaccine center in Norfolk. "They're keeping an eye on him."
And on Tuesday, Buckingham Palace shared that Prince Philip is being treated for an infection.
"The Duke of Edinburgh remains at King Edward VII’s Hospital where he is receiving medical attention for an infection. He is comfortable and responding to treatment but is not expected to leave hospital for several days," reads the statement.
Prince Edward further told Sky News that Prince Philip is feeling "a lot better."
"We keep our fingers crossed," he said
BREAKING: Prince Edward has said the royal family are keeping their “fingers crossed” but that his father, the Duke of Edinburgh, is “a lot better” a week after he was admitted to hospital.
Royal correspondent @SkyRhiannon has the latest
Read more: https://t.co/kGhR8i7yb3 pic.twitter.com/DBrtrwpxsR
— Sky News (@SkyNews) February 23, 2021
It's been a busy month for the royals. The initial statement from Buckingham Palace about Prince Philip broke shortly after Prince Charles and Camilla made the first in-person royal visit of 2021. The couple traveled to Birmingham’s Queen Elizabeth Hospital to thank those taking part in clinical trials for COVID-19 vaccinations and to speak with healthcare staff.
And last weekend, Prince Harry and Meghan confirmed they are expecting their second child. “We can confirm that Archie is going to be a big brother. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are overjoyed to be expecting their second child,” a spokesperson for the couple said on Valentine's Day.
You Might Also Like