The Premier League footballer arrested on suspicion of raping two women has had his bail further extended.
The 29-year-old international, who has been a regular for his club this season, previously had his bail extended until early this month after initially being bailed until a date in August following his arrest in the early hours of July 4.
The Metropolitan Police, which has not named the player, said on Monday: “The man was bailed until a date in early October but his bail has since been extended further – an exact date has yet to be confirmed.”
The duration of the player’s new bail conditions could be confirmed within the next week.
It emerged on July 28 that Scotland Yard had dropped one of what had been three accusations of rape against him.
He had been originally arrested on suspicion of a rape alleged to have taken place in June and was further arrested on suspicion of two incidents of rape alleged to have been committed in April and June of 2021 against a different woman.
Police said on July 28: “On 4 July, an allegation of rape of a woman in her 20s was reported to police. It was reported the alleged rape happened in June 2022. On 4 July, a 29-year-old man was arrested at an address in Barnet on suspicion of rape and taken into custody. While in custody, he was further arrested on suspicion of two incidents of rape that were alleged to have been committed in April and June of 2021 against a different woman in her 20s.
“No further action will be taken in relation to the offence in June 2021 but the investigation into the remaining offences is ongoing. The man was initially bailed until a date in August but his bail has since been extended to a date in early October.”
The player has continued to play for his club since his arrest, despite concern expressed from MPs and campaigners.
He could also yet feature at the World Cup next month.