The road to state in football is complete with three Miami-Dade County teams advancing to the championship round.
And the winter sports season is in full gear with teams coming off holiday tournaments and picking up early-season momentum.
This week, we continue a weekly feature where we ask you to vote for the best performer of the week in Miami-Dade County high school sports.
Below is a look at the five candidates from last week’s action. Take our poll below to cast your vote. The poll will be open until Thursday, Dec. 8, around 10 p.m.
You may vote as often as you like until then.
Here are the candidates from last week’s events:
▪ Sedrick Irvin Jr., Columbus, football: Irvin Jr. ran for 204 yards and the game-winning touchdown with 1:12 remaining to seal the Explorers’ 41-36 victory over Ocoee in the Class 4M state semifinals, securing their second trip to the final in four years.
▪ Isaac Brown, Homestead, football: Brown ran for 139 yards and a touchdown to help the Broncos secure their first trip to a state championship game after a 30-24 win over Orlando Jones.
▪ Keyone Jenkins, Miami Central, football: Jenkins went 15 of 20 for 258 yards passing and two touchdowns, and also ran six times for 14 yards and another touchdown to lead the Rockets to a 39-21 win over St. Petersburg Lakewood in the Class 2M state semifinals.
▪ Alex Soto, Florida Christian, boys’ basketball: Soto led all scorers with 22 points and had eight rebounds in a 69-65 overtime win over Miami Christian.
▪ Jadore Hayes, North Miami, girls’ basketball: Hayes finished with 21 points, 20 rebounds and five blocks in a win over Krop.