Raptors forward O.G. Anunoby discusses the loss to the Grizzlies and why Toronto hasn't found consistency on the defensive end.
- OG, what was the biggest issue, defensively, tonight for you guys?
OG ANUNOBY: Probably just communication and offensive rebounding. They got a lot of offensive-- yeah, they did. And they were getting second-chance opportunities, making their 3's. Just some miscommunications out there.
- Nick talked a lot about the effort, and particularly when it came to transition. Where does this team's effort, on a night-to-night basis, rank against last year's?
OG ANUNOBY: I don't know. But I do agree with him. Tonight's effort wasn't up to standard. So--
- Have you noticed that happened? I mean, it's sort of three home games in a row. You had a really nice road trip, but three home games in a row where there have been times in the game where the effort probably hasn't been there to-- is there anything to pick apart there? Is there anything to answer, or is it just--
OG ANUNOBY: Just effort. Yeah, just effort, just all we can do is try to fix it starting tomorrow.
- Is that coming up much in conversation with your teammates?
OG ANUNOBY: What, effort?
OG ANUNOBY: Yeah.
- Is that-- so it's been-- and has it been a bit-- a little while, or is it just--
- No, mainly today, we talked about it, it's effort. So, gonna try to fix it tomorrow.
- Transitions defense has been an issue for you guys really throughout this stretch you've been in. And you've also struggled to hit open shots during this stretch. The other day, Nick said he thinks sometimes you guys have dropped your heads a little bit, sort of understandably. That's kind of impacted that. Have you noticed that? Where, like, you guys, you know, have gotten down a little bit about your play at one end, and it's impacted the other?
OG ANUNOBY: I don't think so. I don't think we get down. I mean, we always want to make every shot. We never want to miss. But, I mean, maybe I'll have to watch the game, see if it's happened. But I don't think we've been doing that. But he's definitely right about the effort. We haven't been getting back. So maybe it is missing shots that's affecting us. But if it is, we're going to try to fix that.
- What-- beyond sort of the obvious, over the past few weeks, what have you noticed as, you know, some of the issues you guys have had as you've kind of fallen into this stretch you've been in?
OG ANUNOBY: The effort, transition defense, finishing possessions. It's those things-- letting the teams get extra shots. Yeah.
- When it comes to effort, it always has to be coupled with something. Like, a rotation has to come quicker. You have to be more in-tune to do it. And when you look at the team, and you just say effort, is there anything more specific that you guys-- when you talk to each other, you say, this is where it starts, rather than just the, I guess, catch-all of effort?
OG ANUNOBY: No, just-- maybe it's on us, as the starters. We come out sometimes flat. Maybe it's on us. But-- so I think we're all just trying to be better with the effort. And I think I need to be better with the effort. I need to set the tone. Yeah, so I think I could definitely be better with that.
- How did you see Jeff impact the game tonight?
OG ANUNOBY: Oh, he came in. He played with effort. He had energy. He was being aggressive on the ball and making plays, making the right play on offense, yeah, just being an impact player. He's a really talented player. He's really good. So I'm happy for him.