Toronto Raptors coach Nick Nurse discusses ways Gary Trent Jr. gets open, how Khem Birch can help the team and what impressed him about Freddie Gillespie.
Toronto Raptors coach Nick Nurse discusses ways Gary Trent Jr. gets open, how Khem Birch can help the team and what impressed him about Freddie Gillespie.
Amaravati (Andhra Pradesh) [India], May 9 (ANI): After the Central government increased Andhra Pradesh's allocation of oxygen to 590 metric tonnes, the state government has requested for more from Chennai and Bellary plants nearby to reduce transport time.
There may be more Japril in our future! Although Jesse Williams announced his departure from Grey's Anatomy on May 6, his costar Sarah Drew holds out hope for a spinoff show between their two characters.
Conservative Andy Street re-elected mayor of West Midlands. Mayoral race went to second round of counting with Labour getting 46%
TORONTO — Nearly 150 pharmacies started offering COVID-19 vaccines to all adults in some Ontario virus hot spots this weekend, a shift made to align with provincial efforts to protect the most vulnerable amid a third wave of infections. The province quietly announced the expanded eligibility on a provincial pharmacy vaccine booking webpage on Friday afternoon. That government website lists 78 pharmacy locations in Toronto and Peel Region that now offer the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine to people aged 18 and older. In Durham, Hamilton, Ottawa, Windsor and York Region, a total of 58 pharmacies are offering the Moderna shot to anyone in that age group. Vaccine-seekers can search by postal code to find local pharmacies administering shots, and are advised to book online or contact pharmacy sites directly. Justin Bates, CEO of the Ontario Pharmacists Association, said his organization had been working with the province to bring the mRNA shots to more pharmacies for some time, with Pfizer shots being offered at 16 initial locations a week earlier. Prior to that, pharmacies had only been cleared to adnister doses of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine to those 40 and older. The expanded age criteria of 18 and above was approved on Thursday, Bates said, to align with targeted neighbourhood and workplace clinics currently underway in the province. Participating sites received vaccine shipments on Friday. "Our hope is that we will continue to rapidly accelerate the program and add more of the mRNA vaccines across all pharmacies," Bates said by phone on Saturday. "This certainly is going to help in terms of increasing access, convenience and options for Ontarians, and that's certainly a good thing." People won't be asked to provide proof of their residence in a hot spot, Bates said, but pharmacists will need to verify recipients are at least 18 years old at the time of the shot. Participating pharmacies will receive 150 doses per week, Bates said, with plans to use waitlists and possibly accept walk-ins to ensure supply doesn't go to waste. He said the goal is to have all pharmacies distributing the Moderna and Pfizer mRNA vaccines by mid-June, though the timeline depends on supply. Despite the lack of an official government announcement about the expanded eligibility, some young adults in the province were quick to sign up as word spread on social media. Natallia Richards of Ajax, Ont., was scrolling through Twitter early Saturday morning when she came across a series of posts sharing information about the expanded pharmacy age eligibility. She followed a link to the provincial webpage, found a pharmacy location nearby and signed up for a vaccine waitlist. The 23-year-old said the process was surprisingly simple, adding she's relieved to finally be one step closer to an appointment. "Obviously I'd like to make a physical appointment but it just feels good that I can finally do this," she said by phone. Though Richards doesn't live in a designated virus hot spot, she has asthma and interacts with household members who go into work regularly, and she had been eager to snap up an appointment. "It's kind of scary to just sit there and wait," she said. Bates said supplies of AstraZeneca doses were nearly depleted as of Saturday, with just three per cent remaining across participating pharmacies. He said pharmacies are expecting more shots at some point, adding his association is awaiting forthcoming guidance from a national immunization panel on the prospect of mixing first and second doses from different vaccines. If that happens, those pharmacies may start offering Pfizer or Moderna shots as second doses to Oxford-AstraZeneca recipients. "We're going to remain flexible," he said. The province also made changes to shorten the timeline between first and second COVID-19 vaccine doses for Indigenous people living in urban settings, as well as people receiving hemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis. Ontario is currently administering doses four months apart with exceptions for some individuals like transplant recipients, following the shorter timeline recommended by vaccine manufacturers. A spokeswoman for the health minister confirmed Saturday that the province will shorten the interval between doses for urban-dwelling Indigenous people and dialysis patients based on advice from the ministry's Vaccine Clinical Advisory Group, which makes recommendations on the province's inoculation effort. Alexandra Hilkene said those populations will be immunized according to the schedules spelled out by vaccine manufacturers, with more guidance to come about the process. Pfizer recommends a 21-day interval between its two shots. Moderna suggests four weeks between doses and Oxford-AstraZeneca advises an interval of between four and twelve weeks. As Ontario continued to focus half of its total vaccine supply on hot spots, the province's largest city announced Saturday it was on track to have half of its adult residents vaccinated by the end of the weekend. Toronto Mayor John Tory thanked health-care workers and residents in a Saturday statement ahead of the anticipated milestone. "This is a non-stop effort. It's about saving lives and getting life back to normal," Tory said. The changes to the vaccine rollout took effect as the province reported 2,864 new COVID-19 cases and 25 deaths. Ontario reported 1,832 patients hospitalized with the virus, including 851 patients in intensive care and 588 on ventilators. The province said it administered 138,125 COVID-19 vaccine doses on Friday, for a total of 6,023,610. On the web: https://covid-19.ontario.ca/vaccine-locations This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 8, 2021. Holly McKenzie-Sutter, The Canadian Press
"The hardest part of all of it was doing it and doing it well enough that it just sort of disappears and you don't then hear me doing it," Kate Winslet said
Next mayor WILL be announced tonight, election chiefs confirm
Deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner has been sacked from her role as chairman and national campaign coordinator after the party’s poor showing in the Super Thursday elections. Labour received a drubbing in the local elections, losing control of a host of councils and suffering defeat at the hands of Boris Johnson’s Conservatives in the Hartlepoolby-election – the first time the constituency has gone blue since its inception in the 1970s. Speaking on Friday, leader Sir Keir Starmer said he was “bitterly disappointed” with the results and vowed to take responsibility and to fix Labour’s election woes.
Tawny Kitaen, 1980s music video star-turned-reality TV personality, passed away Friday in Newport Beach, Calif. at the age of 59. A cause of death has yet to be determined. “We are heartbroken and saddened to announce the death of our mom,” daughters Wynter and Raine told TMZ in a statement. “We just want to say […]
Exclusive: Less than two weeks after their longtime Charlotte radio home dropped them, the duo have signed a deal that puts them back on the air this month.
A section of a Chinese rocket is falling to Earth and could hit late Saturday. China's government expects most of it will burn up during reentry.
Angela Rayner sacked as Labour chair after Hartlepool byelection loss. Move looks to reignite Labour civil war after worse-than-expected defeat in north-east
Former first minister Alex Salmond stood in the North East Scotland region, but his party failed to win enough regional votes for him to be elected.
Labour leader accused of ‘scapegoating’ northern female MP
Alba was hoping to win seats on the regional lists
The Scottish Conservative also hit out actions taken during the campaign including having swastikas drawn on posters.
SNP falls just short of overall majority at Holyrood
Officials and community leaders continue to monitor water levels along the Mackenzie River near Fort Providence. Communities in the South Slave and Dehcho regions of the Northwest Territories are preparing and launching emergency measures to keep people safe from spring flooding amid ice breakups. Danny Beaulieu, the mayor of Fort Providence, said Saturday morning no action is being taken in the community yet — because "the water is rising, but it's normal." He said ice has started to break up between Fort Providence and the Big River Service Centre, and he was planning to check on about 50 cabins near the winter crossing. A dog stands on submerged wood in Fort Providence. Dene National Chief Norman Yakeleya spoke to one of the men living in a cabin that's an area flooded by waters from the Mackenzie River.(Submitted by Norman Yakeleya) Dene National Chief Norman Yakeleya told CBC News he spoke to Keith Squirrel, a man living in one of the cabins. There is water coming up past the steps of Squirrel's home, he said. "It's pretty stressful because the waters coming high and he's got to protect his property," he said. "The best thing he's doing is starting to haul things out of his cabin, things of value, he's even thinking about 'how can I move my cabin.'" Yakeleya said the Government of the Northwest Territories has an emergency flood damage program, but they need to communicate it to the people who need it. "[There] could be many like him in this situation, where he needs to know where to apply for support."
HARRISON, N.J. — Teenager Caden Clark helped set up one goal and scored the other Saturday as the New York Red Bulls blanked Toronto FC 2-0 in MLS play. Toronto (0-2-1) has now won just one of its first seven games (1-4-2) in all competitions in 2021, albeit against good opposition and with a lengthy injury list after a pandemic-disrupted pre-season. Newly signed Venezuelan international Yeferson Soteldo, a US$6-million signing, made his TFC debut off the bench in the 56th minute. The 23-year-old, wearing No. 30, tucked in behind striker Ayo Akinola but had few chances to showcase his skills. Toronto needed an offensive spark, missing its two other designated players — Spanish playmaker Alejandro Pozuelo (thigh) and star striker Jozy Altidore (illness). TFC managed just one shot on target. Red Bulls goalkeeper Carlos Coronel had a quiet afternoon. The New Yorkers (2-2-0) improved their Red Bull Arena record against Toronto to 11-1-2, outscoring TFC 32-8 with eight clean sheets. Frankie Amaya also scored for the Red Bulls, his first for the club since arriving from FC Cincinnati in April. The game was a matchup of hard-pressing sides, looking to force the opposition into mistakes and then strike quickly after winning the ball back. The Red Bulls went ahead in the 32nd minute after Clark stole the ball from Mark Delgado and headed towards the Toronto goal. He found Fabio and the Brazilian forward who laid it back for Amaya, whose low shot through traffic beat Alex Bono from the edge of the box. Clark made it 2-0 in the 69th, poking the ball in after Fabio beat Bono to Dru Yearwood's through ball. The teenager has scored in three of New York's four matches this season and upped his career MLS goals total to five in just 11 games. One of those goals was a spectacular strike against Toronto last October, lifting the Red Bulls to a 1-1 tie. The goal came in his second career game — four days after opening his account in his debut just hours after signing a first-team contract. Toronto was coming off back-to-back losses to Mexico's Cruz Azul in the Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinal. It lost its MLS season opener 4-2 to CF Montreal before tying the Vancouver Whitecaps 2-2. The Red Bulls downed Chicago 2-0 last time out, after opening losses to Sporting Kansas City and the Los Angeles Galaxy. Saturday's game marked a return to Red Bull Arena for Toronto GM Ali Curtis, head coach Chris Armas and assistant coach Ewan Sharp, who all worked for the Red Bulls. Curtis spent six years there, including 2 1/2 as head coach. A limited number of fans were in the seats Saturday. Armas made three changes to the lineup that lost 1-0 to Cruz Azul on Tuesday with Brazil's Auro and 18-year-olds Ralph Priso and Jayden Nelson coming in for Justin Morrow, Jacob Shaffeburg and Jonathan Osorio. It was the third career start for both Priso and Nelson. Osorio, who had an icepack on his thigh after leaving the Cruz Azul game at halftime, did not dress. The Red Bulls were missing midfielders Florian Valot (knee) and Youba Diarra (hamstring) and newly signed designated player Patryk Klimala (visa) and fellow forward Tom Barlow (thigh). Toronto's pressing caused early problems for the Red Bulls. But TFC did not help its cause with several giveaways. Bono dealt with a Brian White header after a fine cross from Andrew Gutman in the sixth minute. At the other end, Akinola shot just wide two minutes later after an attempted Red Bulls clearance deflected to him in the penalty box. Nelson was off-target in the 11th minute after another Red Bulls turnover due to the Toronto press. TFC skipper Michael Bradley had to clear the ball to safety after Clark delivered a dangerous free kick into a crowd of players in the Toronto penalty box in the 14th minute. Fabio came close n the 34th when a fine cross found him between defenders in front of Toronto goal. But he couldn't control it and the ball bounced wide off his body. The Red Bulls came out of the break with some intensity, pressuring Toronto. NOTES: Toronto faces defending champion Columbus on Wednesday in Orlando before visiting New York City FC next Saturday. Newly acquired TFC defender Kemar Lawrence was unavailable Saturday, still serving quarantine after his transfer from Belgium's Anderlecht. This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 8, 2021. The Canadian Press
Since the start of the coronavirus pandemic, John Oliver has been broadcasting his weekly “Last Week Tonight” from home in a white-backgrounded “blank void” that looks very different from his usual New York City studio. Now in its sixth season, the HBO show picked up four Primetime Emmy Awards last year, including for Outstanding Variety Talk Series for the fifth straight year. And the former “Daily Show” regular has spent much of last year chronicling not only the pandemic but also the presidential election — and getting a sewer plant in Danbury, Connecticut, named after him. Also Read: 'Last Week Tonight' Calls 'Horses-' on Misuse of 2019 Segment to Push Voter Fraud Claims There is a new episode of “Last Week Tonight” this week, May 9. Oliver is back in his usual time slot at 11 p.m. EST on HBO after brief hiatus at the end of April. In last season’s finale, Oliver also took the opportunity to recap some of his personal highlights from the momentous year of 2020. “We sponsored a marble league, we made stamps to help the Postal Service, we tracked down this magnificent piece of rat erotica,” he began. “I got into a fight with Danbury, Connecticut, which resulted in them naming a sewage plant after me.” He also recapped his yearlong taunting of Oscar-nominated actor Adam Driver, who gamely called in to inquire about “this strange, strange bit that you’ve somehow pulled me into” and then dragged Oliver into offering a very begrudging apology. Also Read: John Oliver Can't Believe He Still Has to Talk About 'This Asshole' Donald Trump (Video) Oliver closed the season finale with a more spectacular bit, getting up from his seat in the “blank void” to reveal a giant stage-set in some remote ravine-like location. As he walked toward the camera and away from the set, we saw that it was in fact shaped like a giant 2020 sign — which he promptly blew up in a fireball. “Let tomorrow be about solutions,” Oliver said to close the show, and the season, and the year. “Today is about vengeance. F— you, 2020. Get f—ed.” Read original story Is There a New ‘Last Week Tonight With John Oliver’ Airing This Week? At TheWrap
Nicola Sturgeon has insisted that Westminster has no right to block a second vote on Scottish independence as she claimed an “emphatic victory” in the Holyrood election – despite the SNP failing to secure an overall majority. Ms Sturgeon insisted that her chances of winning an overall majority, which declined dramatically after the SNP failed to capture Aberdeenshire West from the Tories, had always been a “long shot”. In a press conference on Saturday the SNP leader also warned Westminster not to stand in the way of a second referendum.