Watch NBA League Pass on Yahoo Sports
Watch NBA League Pass on Yahoo Sports
CLEVELAND — The Cavaliers are moving on from troubled and talented forward Kevin Porter Jr., a person familiar with his standing with the team told The Associated Press on Monday. The Cavs will either trade or release Porter, who has not played for them this season. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation. A first-round draft pick in 2019, Porter rejoined the team only last week after tending to personal issues. He was in street clothes and on the bench Friday night when the Cavs beat the New York Knicks. Porter reportedly became angry when he learned the Cavs had moved his locker for newly acquired forward Taurean Prince, who came over in the four-team trade with the Brooklyn Nets earlier in the week. Following Monday's practice, during which the Cavs welcomed centre Jarrett Allen and Prince on the floor for the first time, coach J.B. Bickerstaff said he was disappointed things didn't work out with Porter. “We all want to see Kevin be successful and I still feel that way, so whatever it is that happens in the future for him, I hope nothing but the best for him,” Bickerstaff said. "It' part of our responsibility as coaches to give everyone our all and try to make the best of every situation and I can say that we did that.” The Cavs have always been intrigued by Porter's ability, but the 20-year-old has had issues off the floor. In November, he was involved in a single-car accident and police found a loaded handgun and marijuana in his car. Porter contended he didn't know the gun was there. Charges were dismissed. Cleveland drafted Porter with the No. 30 overall pick in 2019 knowing he had issues while at Southern California. As a rookie, he averaged 10 points, 3.2 rebounds and 2.2 assists in 50 games. ___ More AP NBA: https://apnews.com/tag/NBA and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports Tom Withers, The Associated Press
Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields declared for the 2021 NFL Draft on Monday, a move that was expected. Fields is projected to be one of the first two quarterbacks taken on Day 1 of the draft, scheduled for April 29 in Cleveland. "Growing up, my dream was to one day play the game that I love at the highest level," Fields wrote in a lengthy post on Twitter.
Thunder Bay, Ontario--(Newsfile Corp. - January 18, 2021) - White Metal Resources Corp. (TSXV: WHM) ("White Metal" or the "Company") is pleased to announce that it has received the required drilling permits and will commence the first round of diamond drilling on the Tower Stock Gold Property (the "Property" or the "Project" or "TSGP"). White Metal recently optioned the Tower Stock Gold Property which is located about 40 km west-northwest of the port city ...
The Neuronavigation Systems Market will grow by $ 93.32 mn during 2020-2024
The accuracy of the devices has come under recent scrutiny by experts.
‘Over 2,700 bodies are currently being stored at hospitals and Coroner’s office’ an executive order said
UN countries challenge Australia's Indigenous incarceration record in human rights reviewNations question delay in raising age of criminal responsibility to 14 and response to Uluru statement
PHILADELPHIA — Archie Bradley ingratiated himself with fans immediately after finalizing a $6 million, one-year contract with the Philadelphia Phillies. “SignJT,” Bradley wrote on Twitter. The right-hander then expanded on his desire for the Phillies bring back two-time All-Star catcher J.T. Realmuto. “Hopefully, me being on board, we can get our guy J.T. back,” Bradley said Monday during a video news conference. “I know him very well. Obviously, unbelieveable big leaguer. I’ve played with a lot of guys who have played with him that have done nothing but speak so high of what J.T. brings to the table not only on the field but off the field. Great dude. I hope he’s a Phillie. I hope I get to throw to him this year.” Phillies slugger Bryce Harper began campaigning for the team to re-sign Realmuto last season. A few times after he crossed the plate on Realmuto homers, Harper looked up in an empty stadium and screamed: “Sign him!” Phillies President of Baseball Operations Dave Dombrowski didn’t comment on a report the team has offered Realmuto a five-year contract worth more than $100 million. He also said he doesn’t feel extra pressure to sign Realmuto because Bradley, Harper and others have made it clear they want him. “No, I don’t really feel any pressure by those comments,” Dombrowski said. “I think everybody knows that you’d like to bring him back – that’s not a secret. So, no, I don’t feel any extra pressure in that regard. We want to do everything we can to make our club better and I think we’ve expressed our desires in doing so, so we’ll do our best in that regard. But I don’t really feel extra pressure and I don’t blame them – we feel the same way as they do, so we’re on the same page.” Bradley was 2-0 with a 2.95 ERA and six saves in 16 games last season with Arizona and Cincinnati, and he earned $1,518,519 prorated from a $4.1 million salary. Bradley had a career-best 18 saves in 2019. The 28-year-old right-hander joins a bullpen that was among the worst in Major League Baseball. Philadelphia’s relievers combined for a 7.06 ERA, and the team blew three-run leads eight separate times. The Phillies ended up one win shy of qualifying for the post-season for the first time since 2011. Bradley is 23-25 with a 3.91 ERA and 28 saves in six seasons. He has 425 strikeouts in 412 innings. Phillies manager Joe Girardi didn’t say whether Bradley will be used as a closer or a set-up man. Hector Neris is Philadelphia’s other option. “I’m going to have a lot of opportunities to contribute, and ultimately, that’s what I want to do,” Bradley said. “I don’t care what role it’s in, but I want to take the ball, and I want to provide quality innings for this team.” ___ More AP MLB: https://apnews.com/MLB and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports Rob Maaddi, The Associated Press
Ofsted describe claims streamed education is ‘gold standard’ for teaching as ‘unhelpful myth’
Janet Yellen, U.S. President-elect Joe Biden's nominee to run the Treasury Department, will tell the Senate Finance Committee on Tuesday that the government must "act big" with its next coronavirus relief package. Biden, who will be sworn into office on Wednesday, outlined a $1.9 trillion stimulus package proposal last week, saying bold investment was needed to jump-start the economy and accelerate the distribution of vaccines to bring the virus under control.
Montréal, Québec--(Newsfile Corp. - January 18, 2021) - Manganese X Energy Corp. (TSXV: MN) (FSE: 9SC2) (OTC: MNXXF) ("Manganese X" or the "Company") is pleased to announce that effective at the opening of market on January 20, 2021, 24,749,145 common share purchase warrants (the "Warrants") will commence trading on the TSX Venture Exchange ("TSXV") under the symbol "MN.WT". The Warrants were issued pursuant to a private placement financing of the Company completed on September ...
Traditional inaugural parade down Pennsylvania Avenue will be replaced by a virtual event highlighting country's diversity, heritage and resilience.
Saskatchewan joined five other provinces in December, requesting that the federal government delay Bill C-15 until stakeholders and governments could be consulted on what the implications of the legislation are. Bill C-15 is proposed legislation that states the Government of Canada, “must take all measures necessary to ensure the laws of Canada are consistent with the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.” It received a first reading in Ottawa on Dec. 3. When the measure was initially debated at the United Nation in 2007, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the United States all opposed it. National governments in all four opposing nations have since supported the declaration, which addresses individual and collective rights of Indigenous people, as well as their rights to culture, identity, education, health, employment and language. The UN declaration also states Indigenous people can determine their own political status as well as rights to engage in their own economic, social and cultural development, while retaining the right to be part of the same activities within the state. “While we support the principles of UNDRIP, as far as the Government of Saskatchewan, we don’t endorse the federal legislation because there was very little consultation done before the initial bill was presented,” Indian Head-Milestone MLA and provincial government relations minister Don McMorris told The Forum. “The interpretation of the legislation is still to be determined and we can’t support something until we know what the impact is going to be within our province.” The provincial government is reviewing the legislation and is trying to determine what this bill means for the province. It is also consulting with First Nations and Metis leaders as well as other economic sectors which could be impacted by this law, McMorris said. “The spirit is one thing, what the legislation says is another, and that’s why we can’t support this,” McMorris said, adding a further statement on this bill will be released once the province has completed its review of the bill. Similar reviews are underway in Manitoba, Ontario, Alberta, Quebec and New Brunswick — all provinces, like Saskatchewan, with conservative governments. Keith Borkowsky, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, The Quad Town Forum
We're two days from President-elect Joe Biden's Inauguration Day and here are the updates from Washington.
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day in the nation's capital was like no other amid the threat of inauguration violence and the COVID-19 pandemic.
TORONTO — "Schitt's Creek" continues to flood the awards circuit.The Canadian CBC series, which swept the Emmys' comedy categories with seven trophies last September, is now up for five Critics Choice Awards. The story of the riches-to-rags Rose family is nominated for best comedy series and in acting categories for stars Eugene Levy, Catherine O'Hara, Daniel Levy, and Annie Murphy.Other series with five nominations apiece include HBO's "Lovecraft Country," and FX's "Mrs. America" and "What We Do In The Shadows."Two Netflix series lead the pack, with "Ozark" and "The Crown" each up for six awards, including best drama series.Netflix earned the most nominations overall, with a total of 26, followed by HBO/HBO Max with 24.Film nominees for the 26th annual Critics Choice Awards will be revealed on Feb. 7.Taye Diggs will host the live awards ceremony on The CW on March 7. Organizers will announce the format of the show at a later date.This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 18, 2021. The Canadian Press
Facing criticism over efforts to produce citizenship data to comply with an order from President Donald Trump, U.S. Census Bureau director Steven Dillingham said Monday that he planned to resign with the change in presidential administrations. Dillingham said in a statement that he would resign on Wednesday, the day Trump leaves the White House and President-elect Joseph Biden takes office. The Census Bureau director’s plan to resign comes as the statistical agency is in the middle of crunching the numbers for the 2020 census, which will be used to determine how many congressional seats and Electoral College votes each state gets, as well as the distribution of $1.5 trillion in federal spending each year. Last week, Democratic lawmakers called on Dillingham to resign after a watchdog agency said he had set a deadline that pressured statisticians to produce a report on the number of people in the U.S. illegally. Mike Schneider, The Associated Press
TORONTO — Ontario's top doctor says the province must cut its daily COVID-19 case counts to below 1,000 before lockdown measures can be lifted. Dr. David Williams called the goal "achievable" and said the last time the province saw similar daily case counts was late October. Williams says he would also like to see the number of COVID-19 patients in hospital intensive care units drop to 150. The province reported today that 395 people were in hospital intensive care units across Ontario. Williams says the province's daily case rates appear to have plateaued and may have begun to drop. He attributes the change to a provincewide lockdown which came into effect on Boxing Day. Meanwhile, Premier Doug Ford said a new hospital set to open in Vaughan, Ont., will be used to relieve a capacity crunch because of rising COVID-19 rates. Ford said some patients from overcrowded Greater Toronto Area hospitals will be transferred to Cortellucci Vaughan Hospital when it opens on Feb. 7. The hospital will add 35 new critical care beds and 150 medical beds to the province's bed capacity. Health Minister Christine Elliott said some Toronto hospitals are already transferring patients to Kingston, Ont,. and Niagara Region to help ease crowding. The province said that once the COVID-19 capacity pressures have stabilized, the new Vaughan hospital will provide care to patients in York Region as originally planned. The province also said it will spend $125 million to create 500 additional beds to deal with the latest virus surge which it has warned could overwhelm hospitals. Ontario reported 2,578 new cases of COVID-19 on Monday and 24 more deaths linked to the virus. There were 815 new cases in Toronto and 507 in Peel Region, as well as 151 more cases in York and Niagara regions. There were 9,691 doses of a COVID-19 vaccine administered since Ontario's last daily report. The province reported that nearly 40,300 tests were completed since the last daily update. There have been 240,364 cases of the novel coronavirus in Ontario since the pandemic began, and 206,310 cases have been resolved, while 5,433 Ontarians have died from the virus. Ontario's Ministry of Health said 209,788 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered. A clinic dedicated to administering vaccines opened in a Toronto convention centre on Monday morning. City officials said the "proof-of-concept" clinic will help Ontario's Ministry of Health test and adjust the setup of immunization clinics in non-hospital settings. The clinic at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, which is in the downtown core, aims to vaccinate 250 people per day, but the city notes that is entirely dependent upon vaccine supply. Pfizer-BioNTech, which manufactures one of the two Health Canada-approved vaccines, announced last week that it's temporarily delaying international shipments of the shots while it upgrades production facilities in Europe. The Ontario government has said that will affect the province's vaccine distribution plan, and some people will see their booster shots delayed by several weeks. The City of Hamilton, meanwhile, said the province has directed it to temporarily cease administering the first dose of both the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines to everyone except residents, staff and essential caregivers at long-term care homes and retirement facilities. A spokeswoman for the Health Minister did not say how many regions of the province had received that directive. This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 18, 2021. The Canadian Press
Update: Facebook said the issue has now been resolved
NEW YORK, Jan. 18, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Rosen Law Firm, a global investor rights law firm, reminds purchasers of the securities of QuantumScape Corporation (NYSE: QS) between November 27, 2020 and December 31, 2020, inclusive (the “Class Period”) of the important March 8, 2021 lead plaintiff deadline in the securities class action. The lawsuit seeks to recover damages for QuantumScape investors under the federal securities laws. To join the QuantumScape class action, go to http://www.rosenlegal.com/cases-register-2017.html or call Phillip Kim, Esq. toll-free at 866-767-3653 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com for information on the class action. According to the lawsuit, defendants throughout the Class Period made false and/or misleading statements and/or failed to disclose that: (1) QuantumScape’s purported success related to its solid-state battery power, battery life, and energy density were significantly overstated; (2) QuantumScape’s battery technology was not sufficient for electric vehicle performance as it would not be able to withstand the aggressive automotive environment; (3) QuantumScape’s battery technology likely provided no meaningful improvement over existing battery technology; (4) QuantumScape is unlikely to be able to scale its technology to the multi-layer cell necessary to power electric vehicles (5) the successful commercialization of QuantumScape’s battery technology was subject to much more significant risks and uncertainties than defendants had disclosed; and (6) as a result of the foregoing, defendants materially overstated the value and prospects of QuantumScape’s battery technology. When the true details entered the market, the lawsuit claims that investors suffered damages. A class action lawsuit has already been filed. If you wish to serve as lead plaintiff, you must move the Court no later than March 8, 2021. A lead plaintiff is a representative party acting on behalf of other class members in directing the litigation. If you wish to join the litigation, go to http://www.rosenlegal.com/cases-register-2017.html or to discuss your rights or interests regarding this class action, please contact Phillip Kim, Esq. of Rosen Law Firm toll free at 866-767-3653 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. NO CLASS HAS YET BEEN CERTIFIED IN THE ABOVE ACTION. UNTIL A CLASS IS CERTIFIED, YOU ARE NOT REPRESENTED BY COUNSEL UNLESS YOU RETAIN ONE. YOU MAY RETAIN COUNSEL OF YOUR CHOICE. YOU MAY ALSO REMAIN AN ABSENT CLASS MEMBER AND DO NOTHING AT THIS POINT. AN INVESTOR’S ABILITY TO SHARE IN ANY POTENTIAL FUTURE RECOVERY IS NOT DEPENDENT UPON SERVING AS LEAD PLAINTIFF. Follow us for updates on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/the-rosen-law-firm, on Twitter: https://twitter.com/rosen_firm or on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/rosenlawfirm/. Rosen Law Firm represents investors throughout the globe, concentrating its practice in securities class actions and shareholder derivative litigation. Rosen Law Firm was Ranked No. 1 by ISS Securities Class Action Services for number of securities class action settlements in 2017. The firm has been ranked in the top 3 each year since 2013. Rosen Law Firm has achieved the largest ever securities class action settlement against a Chinese Company. Rosen Law Firm’s attorneys are ranked and recognized by numerous independent and respected sources. Rosen Law Firm has secured hundreds of millions of dollars for investors. Attorney Advertising. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. ------------------------------- Contact Information: Laurence Rosen, Esq. Phillip Kim, Esq. The Rosen Law Firm, P.A. 275 Madison Avenue, 40th Floor New York, NY 10016 Tel: (212) 686-1060 Toll Free: (866) 767-3653 Fax: (212) 202-3827 firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org www.rosenlegal.com