N.B. RCMP investigate report of shots fired near Moncton park, no injuries reported

·2 min read

MONCTON, N.B. — RCMP in New Brunswick say they have secured an area near Moncton's Centennial Park and people can resume their daily activities.

The notice was issued shortly after 6 p.m. Thursday evening after police responded to what they called a credible report of shots fired earlier in the day.

"At this time no arrest has been made and the investigation is ongoing. Thank you for your co-operation," police said in an Alert Ready message. The RCMP released few details during the day about the incident but said there had been no reports of injuries.

An initial Alert Ready message was issued in the area at 10:17 a.m., advising residents, schools and businesses near Centennial Park to lock their doors, shelter in place and stay away from windows.

RCMP Cpl. Hans Ouellette said police responded to a call at 8:30 a.m. of shots fired in the area. New Brunswick RCMP tweeted that the report of gunfire "has been confirmed as credible and no injuries have been reported."

The RCMP asked the public not to call 911 or police seeking additional information. "It's important to keep police phone lines available for information related to locate the individual," they wrote on Twitter. They asked anyone with information that could assist in the investigation to contact them immediately.

Ouellette said residents living near the park, including Millennium Boulevard, Killam Drive and Russ Howard Drive, should "lock their doors, stay away from the windows and shelter in place." RCMP are asking the public not to post information on social media about police locations or operations.

The Anglophone East School District says schools in the area were on lockdown for much of the day. The affected schools were Bessborough, Hillcrest, Harrison Trimble and Bernice MacNaughton High School.

Moncton Christian Academy was also on lockdown. Staff there say they were told by police to keep students inside with doors locked.

The Horizon Health Network closed its COVID-19 assessment centre and blood collection clinic at the Moncton Coliseum as a precaution.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 13, 2021.

— By Kevin Bissett in Fredericton.

The Canadian Press