Turnpike Lane murder: Family speak of devastation after boy, 17, stabbed to death

John Dunne and Harriet Brewis
·3 min read
<p>The boy was found with fatal stab wounds on West Green Road, Haringey</p> (Family handout)

The boy was found with fatal stab wounds on West Green Road, Haringey

(Family handout)

The family of a 17 year old student stabbed to death in north London have paid tribute to a “quiet lovely boy” who dreamed of being a pilot.

Anas Mezenner was found suffering knife wounds on West Green Road, near Turnpike Lane station, just after 9pm on Tuesday.

Medics and police officers performed roadside CPR before the teenager was rushed to hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 4.25am.

A friend of the teenager said Anas, a keen gamer and Liverpool fan, had been attacked after confronting muggers who stole another friend’s phone.

The teenager’s mother told the Standard: “He was a lovely boy who had done nothing wrong. He dreamed of being a pilot.”

Anass MezennerFamily handout
Anass MezennerFamily handout

His brother, 21, said: “He was very quiet. He wouldn’t hurt anyone. He loved football and his family. He was never in any trouble he was not in any gang or anything like that.”

Anas had been studying media at college in Islington after completing his GCSEs and dreamed of becoming a pilot, his family said. His brother added: “He was always watching documentaries on flying, that was what he wanted to do.

“Legends always die young.”

The teenager’s father received the news of his son’s death while on a trip to Algeria, where the family are from. He is flying back to the UK. Anas had two brothers and two sisters.

A friend told the Standard: “He was at home all day and then received a call saying a friend’s phone was stolen. He went to help but was attacked, his friends managed to get away.

“His family are devastated.”

The friend added: “He was a good guy, nothing to do with gangs or anything like that. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

“He was trying to help a friend.”

Witnesses Dario Trentini, 36, a Mayfair restaurant worker, saw the victim teenager slumped on the ground following the attack.

He said: “I tried to help but the police arrived and tried to give him CPR."

Murder squad detectives and forensics officers were seen trawling the area for evidence on Wednesday.

A crime scene tent near a bus stop marked the spot where the boy fell.

The boy died was attacked a patch of communal green space. Witnesses describing how they heard screaming and shouting before emergency services arrived on the scene.

One said: “There was one hell of a row then blue lights flashing and people screaming and shouting.”

So far there have been no arrests.

Superintendent Simon Crick, investigating, said: “This is a dreadfully sad loss of life and I understand how shocked the community will be.

“I want them to know that they can expect to see more officers in the area and to approach them if they want to discuss any concerns or share any information.”

A crime scene remained in place on Wednesday morning.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 101 or tweet @MetCC quoting CAD 6899/19JAN.