Morgan Wallen says he won't go on tour this summer after racial slur controversy

Adam Friedman, Nashville Tennessean
·2 min read

Country singer Morgan Wallen announced Tuesday he wouldn't be performing this summer, two months after a video surfaced of him shouting a racial slur in Nashville.

"I found this time away to be very valuable to me in many ways, but I feel like I need a little more of it, and therefore will not be performing tour dates this summer," Wallen said in a handwritten letter posted to Twitter.

Big Loud Records, Wallen's record label, suspended him following the incident. Radio stations, including those owned by iHeartMedia, stopped playing his music and the Academy of Country Music will said he would not be involved with this year's ACM awards.

Wallen's streams and album sales spiked despite the backlash from the music industry. Some fans defended him, prompting Wallen to post an apology video to YouTube, where he asked his followers to stop.

Morgan Wallen's sales spike, his sister slams 'cancel culture' after he's recorded using racial slur

"I’ve made some mistakes, I’m figuring those out, and I apologized because I was truly sorry and have been making my amends," Wallen said in the letter Tuesday.

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.

Wallen had been set to open for Luke Bryan's Proud To Be Right Here tour that was originally scheduled for the summer of 2020 and pushed back due to the coronavirus pandemic.

He was also on the lineup for several country music festivals.

The singer said he's working to improve but also "very proud of who I am and the man I am becoming."

Wallen said he's back in Nashville and was "looking forward" to returning soon.

"My story is far from over," Wallen said. "Just know you'll be seeing me sooner than later."

This article originally appeared on Nashville Tennessean: Morgan Wallen won't be touring this summer after controversy