A devastated mom is warning parents about the potential dangers of mini chocolate eggs after her 5-year-old daughter fatally choked on one three years ago.
The woman, known as XGemx on the popular parenting site Mumsadvice.co.uk, shared her heartbreaking story of the “deadly choking hazard” that killed her child.
“It has been just short of three years since my precious little girl Sophie passed away; she had choked on a mini egg and I was unable to dislodge it, even with back slaps and pushing up and under her ribs,” XGemx wrote on the parenting blog.
“I had done a first aid course only six months prior to this event so all the techniques to help a choking child were still fresh in my mind, but it didn’t help. I watched the light slip away from my baby’s eyes, I tried in vain to save her. Sophie was 5 1/2 so not a tiny tot, yet this seemingly harmless treat took my angel away.”
She adds: “If your children enjoy these chocolate treats, please watch them extra close and remind them to sit down whilst eating them or avoid them altogether.”
She also claims seeing other parents post similar incidents on Facebook, detailing that their children had choked on the same popular Easter treat.
“Please watch your babies,” she pleaded.
Other parents are sharing their condolences — some are even opening up about similar experiences they’ve had.
One wrote: “My twin girls are 14 years old now, when they were 5, one of them choked on a mini egg and for years after I could not let her have them. When I finally did, they were cut in half and closely supervised. I’ve never forgotten it, and even today when she has them I still have to remind her what happened all those years ago. So sorry for your loss.”
Another added: “This happened to my son at around 4 years old. Fortunately i managed to get it out with the Heimlich maneuver as the back slapping wasn’t working. I remember his lips were turning blue. It was one of the scariest moments of my life.”
“He was eating a small box of the mini eggs and he was tipping them into his mouth and one got stuck,” the mom continued. “I now always tell my children not to tip food into their mouth, but to pick food up with their fingers and put food in their mouths.”
It should be noted that Cadbury Mini Egg packaging carries the following warning:
“Choking Hazard: This product is not suitable for children under four.”
Read more from Yahoo Lifestyle:
- Woman screams ‘I am God’ and tries to open aircraft door mid-flight
- ‘But you don’t look sick’: What it’s like to live with a ‘silent’ disease
- Rugby player left disabled for life after eating slug as dare at birthday party