Mikal Bridges (Phoenix Suns) with a 3-pointer vs the Denver Nuggets, 01/22/2021
Mikal Bridges (Phoenix Suns) with a 3-pointer vs the Denver Nuggets, 01/22/2021
VANCOUVER — A lawyer for the Huawei executive facing extradition to the United States says there's evidence showing the case against her is "manifestly unreliable" and he wants that evidence admitted to the record. Meng Wanzhou's lawyer Frank Addario says emails between staff at the telecom giant and international bank HSBC show the bank was well aware that Huawei controlled another company called Skycom, therefore Meng wasn't responsible for any violation of U.S. sanctions again Iran by the bank. He told the B.C. Supreme Court hearing that staff at HSBC knew that Skycom was sold to Canicula, that Canicula was Skycom's parent company and that Huawei controlled the Canicula account. Addario is asking the judge to admit affidavits including emails and bank account information into evidence to support the defence team's case at Meng's committal hearing, to be heard in May. Meng was arrested at Vancouver's airport in 2018 on a request by U.S. officials who allege she misrepresented the relationship between Huawei and Skycom, causing HSBC to violate U.S. sanctions against Iran. Both she and Huawei deny the allegations. This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 1, 2021. The Canadian Press
U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Linda Thomas-Greenfield said on Monday she hopes to use Washington's presidency of the United Nations Security Council in March to push for more "intense discussions" on Myanmar. Myanmar's elected civilian government was ousted in a military coup on Feb. 1. Myanmar's U.N. Ambassador Kyaw Moe Tun appealed to the United Nations on Friday "to use any means necessary to take action against the Myanmar military" to restore democracy to the Southeast Asian country.
PRISTINA, Kosovo — Kosovo’s prime minister-designate has found himself in a difficult diplomatic position ahead of taking the post following his country’s diplomatic ties with Israel. Albin Kurti of the Self-Determination Movement party, or Vetevendosje!, is expected to be Kosovo’s next prime minister after his party won the Feb. 14 parliamentary election. On Monday, Kurti met with the Turkish ambassador in Pristina, and Kosovo’s decision to open an embassy in Jerusalem was among the topics of discussion. “The place where the embassy will be located is to be considered following checking of the documentation of the outgoing government,” said a statement issued after the talks. On Feb. 1, Kosovo established diplomatic ties with Israel and decided to open an embassy in Jerusalem — becoming the first European country and Muslim-majority one to make such plans. It followed the U.S. and Guatemala in doing so. Most countries’ embassies are in Tel Aviv. Kosovo's decision was taken when outgoing Prime Minister Avdullah Hoti met with Serb President Aleksandar Vucic at the White House in September with then-President Donald Trump. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has warned Kosovo that the move could damage future relations with his country. “I believe that it would be beneficial to avoid such a move that would cause great damage to Kosovo,” Erdogan said. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu wrote that “I attach much importance to Kosovo’s decision to open its embassy in Jerusalem and I look forward to hosting you in Israel for its inauguration.” The letters sent in February were published by Kurti’s spokesman, Perparim Kryeziu, on his Facebook page as part of congratulations from world leaders on his victory. Last week, Kosovo sent its ambassador to Israel. Palestinians claim east Jerusalem, captured by Israel in the 1967 Mideast war and later annexed, as the capital of a future state. Most of the international community doesn't recognize the Israeli annexation of east Jerusalem and says the competing claims to the city should be resolved through negotiations. Kosovo’s Parliament declared independence from Serbia in 2008, nine years after a U.S.-led 78-day NATO airstrike campaign against Serbia to stop a bloody crackdown against ethnic Albanians — most of whom are Muslim — in Kosovo. Most Western nations have recognized Kosovo’s independence, but Serbia and its allies Russia and China have not. ——- Suzan Fraser contributed to this report from Ankara, Turkey. Zenel Zhinipotoku And Llazar Semini, The Associated Press
HALIFAX — Nova Scotia's COVID-19 vaccination-booking web page was taken offline Monday after it experienced technical issues the first day it opened to people aged 80 and over. In a Twitter post earlier in the day, the Health Department said its web page had been temporarily disabled as a precaution after booking service CANImmunize reported a slowdown caused by high traffic to the site. The department said CANImmunize was investigating and in the meantime, it said people who wanted to book an appointment could do so by telephone — although it said call volumes were also high. By late afternoon there was still no word on when the website would be back in operation. About 48,000 people in Nova Scotia are at least 80 years old and eligible to get vaccinated at a series of community clinics scheduled to open this month across the province. A prototype community clinic ran for four days in Halifax last week, and the plan is to open another 10 clinics. The new clinics are to be held March 8 in Halifax, New Minas, Sydney and Truro; March 15 in Antigonish, Halifax and Yarmouth; and March 22 in Amherst, Bridgewater and Dartmouth. The vaccination program will then expand to the next age group in descending order until everyone in the province is offered the chance to be immunized. The age groups will proceed in five-year blocks. Meanwhile, health officials reported one new case of COVID-19 on Monday and a total of 35 active known infections. They said that as of Sunday, the province had administered 32,856 doses of COVID-19 vaccine, with 12,845 people having received a booster shot. This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 1, 2021. The Canadian Press
"late 90s/early 2000s nostalgia vibes," the reality star said of her sultry look
"I am still in recovery from a very close call with death."
With a decentralized national health care system and a chaotic COVID-19 vaccine rollout, states find their own ways to reach and vaccinate residents.
Netflix (NASDAQ: NFLX) has long believed that the key to attracting and retaining customers is stocking its large and growing digital-entertainment library with the best quality programming it can find. This strategy was on full display at the 2021 Golden Globes on February 28. Several of Netflix's flagship productions won the night, including The Crown, which won four awards, including best drama series.
Roughly 41,000 doses of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, also known as the Janssen vaccine, are slated for the Palmetto State this week, DHEC said.
San Diego Comic-Con, the largest fan convention in North America, will not be held in person in 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, organizers announced on Monday. Instead, the event will be held virtually over three days, from July 23-25. “While we are buoyed by the rollout of the vaccine and the growing number of […]
Leach worked at the Movado Group for more than two decades and pioneered some of the company's biggest celebrity contracts.
Showbiz shares sparkled Monday starting off March with a major market rally around reopening, another vaccine rollout, a stimulus bill and a combo of upbeat earnings and streaming forecasts. Johnson & Johnson’s vaccine, the nation’s third, will ship this week and the possibility of $1.9 trillion flowing into the U.S. economy looks increasingly likely after […]
Spacecraft that can see through cloud get their first good look at the frozen block known as A74.
Police arrest Josep Maria Bartomeu after raid on Barcelona's Camp Nou Three others, including chief executive, also arrested Elections for new president to be held at weekend A policeman enters the Camp Nou offices. Photograph: Lluís Gené/AFP/Getty Images
The South Florida tech industry is taking off, but we have plenty of hurdles before we eclipse Silicon Valley.
On Monday, the first day in-person learning restarted in Arkansas, one student was injured during a shooting at Watson Chapel Junior High School in Pine Bluff. According to the school district’s Facebook page, as of two hours ago, all district campuses remain in lockdown following the shooting, which the district described as an “isolated incident.” The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Department and the Pine Bluff Police Department are reportedly on the scene to “control the situation.” The shooting took place as students were changing classrooms to go to their next classes. Upon hearing gunshots, all students were abruptly moved to the gymnasium per protocol. In a press briefing on Monday afternoon, Pine Bluff police detailed the events. According to Chief of Police Kelvin Sergeant, the department was alerted of the shooting at 9:59 a.m. and the first officer arrived at the school at 10:02 a.m. The victim, who is 15, was taken to Jefferson Regional Medical Center in Pine Bluff before being transferred to the Arkansas Children’s Hospital in Little Rock. He is currently in “serious condition,” according to officers. Police also announced that they currently have a 15-year-old male suspect in custody. The suspect had initially fled the scene to hide behind a home on one of the neighboring streets. When police found him, he was taken to the Jack Jones Juvenile Detention Center in Pine Bluff. According to the school district’s Facebook page, which has continued to post updates throughout the day, the parents of the student who was shot were notified, and all other students were declared safe. In the hours following the shooting, local news outlet KATV shared video footage of multiple cars backed up on the road leading to Watson Chapel Junior High School, mostly filled with parents who were attempting to pick up their children. Police officers remained at the scene the entire time. Sergeant reiterated that the department believed the shooting to be an isolated incident and wouldn’t speak to whether it was the result of gang-related activity. Whether the suspect will be tried as a juvenile or an adult will be announced in the next 36 to 48 hours. The family of the victim has yet to release a statement. Like what you see? How about some more R29 goodness, right here?Biden's Plan For Harassment, Shootings & ViolencePolice Are Killing Black People At A Higher RateHow Portland Police Shot & Killed Michael Reinoehl
City watchdog scraps bonuses for its top staff after LC&F scandal. Performance-related pay at Financial Conduct Authority also axed after criticism for handling of failed investment firm
Not for distribution to U.S. Newswire Services or for dissemination in the United States. CALGARY, Alberta, March 01, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Middlefield Group, on behalf of E Split Corp. (TSX: ENS and ENS.PR.A) (the “Company”), is pleased to announce that the Company is undertaking an overnight treasury offering of class A and preferred shares (the “Class A Shares” and “Preferred Shares”, respectively). The sales period for this overnight offering will end at 9:00 a.m. (ET) on Tuesday, March 2, 2021. The offering is expected to close on or about March 9, 2021 and is subject to certain closing conditions including approval by the Toronto Stock Exchange (“TSX”). The Class A Shares will be offered at a price of $12.50 per Class A Share to yield 12.5% and the Preferred Shares will be offered at a price of $10.00 per Preferred Share to yield 5.3%. The closing price on the TSX for each of the Class A Shares and Preferred Shares on February 26, 2021 was $12.82 and $10.33, respectively. The Class A Share and Preferred Share offering prices were determined so as to be non-dilutive to the most recently calculated net asset value per unit of the Company (calculated as at February 26, 2021), as adjusted for dividends and certain expenses to be accrued prior to or upon settlement of the offering. The Company invests in common shares of Enbridge Inc., a North American oil and gas pipeline, gas processing and natural gas distribution company. The Company’s investment objectives for the: Class A Shares are to provide holders with: (i) non-cumulative monthly cash distributions; and (ii) the opportunity for capital appreciation through exposure to the portfolio Preferred Shares are to:(i) provide holders with fixed cumulative preferential quarterly cash distributions; and (ii) return the original issue price of $10.00 to holders upon maturity. Middlefield Capital Corporation provides investment management advice to the Company. The syndicate of agents for the offering is being co-led by CIBC Capital Markets and RBC Capital Markets. For further information, please visit our website at www.middlefield.com or contact Nancy Tham or Michael Bury in our Sales and Marketing Department at 1.888.890.1868. A short form base shelf prospectus containing important detailed information about the securities being offered has been filed with securities commissions or similar authorities in each of the provinces of Canada. Copies of the short form base shelf prospectus may be obtained from a member of the syndicate. The Company intends to file a supplement to the short form base shelf prospectus, and investors should read the short form base shelf prospectus and the prospectus supplement before making an investment decision. There will not be any sale or any acceptance of an offer to buy the securities being offered until the prospectus supplement has been filed with the securities commissions or similar authorities in each of the provinces of Canada.
(Family of Dr. Ronald Bayne - image credit) Just hours before his planned death, Dr. Ronald Bayne shuffled from his bedroom to his living room in Victoria using a walker, each step filled with pain, to reveal more about his long-held passion for seniors' rights and care reform. At 98 and facing terminal cancer, Bayne — one of Canada's first geriatricians — remained appalled by conditions in long-term care homes. As a physician, professor and advocate for seniors, it was something he had been speaking out against for decades. In fact, Bayne chose to end his life rather than spend his remaining months alive in a long-term care facility. "I shall not go into long-term care," he said adamantly in an interview with CBC News at his home on Thursday, the day before he died. Dr. Ronald Bayne in an undated photograph from early in his career as a physician. On the eve of his death, Bayne spoke about how COVID-19 has laid bare the serious faults that remain in the care system, referring to the pandemic as his "I-told-you-so moment." The coronavirus has torn through long-term care homes across the country, killing thousands of residents and exposing lethal weaknesses in the system. According to national statistics, close to 90 per cent of the almost 22,000 COVID-19 deaths in Canada have been among people aged 70 or older. "COVID revealed exactly what I'd been saying all these years," he said. "And, of course, the politicians are wringing their hands: 'Oh we didn't know anything about it, never heard. Oh, if only we'd known, we'd have done something.' But they knew perfectly well and never did [do anything], because it cost money." Following the first wave of the pandemic, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau acknowledged the system had failed seniors and said the federal government was committed to helping provinces make improvements. Bayne is adamant that part of those changes should allow people in the early stages of dementia to specify future conditions for medically assisted death, something not allowed under current laws. "You're simply denying them what they asked for when they were sensible, so it's just ridiculous," he said. WATCH | Facing his own death, Dr. Ronald Bayne explains why so many people are frightened of dying: 'I'm delighted, looking forward to it' Faced with terminal cancer and attendant symptoms — including aching bones, difficulty swallowing and a burning sensation when urinating — Bayne arranged for a doctor to help him with a medically assisted death involving an intravenous injection. "I'm delighted, looking forward to it," he said. His daughter, Lillian Bayne, a health policy professor at the University of Victoria, said she understands and respects her father's wishes, but struggles with the thought of him being gone. "On the one hand we want to keep you with us because we love you so much, and we know you love us and we continue to grow and learn from you all the time, every day," she said, sitting beside him on the sofa in his suite. WATCH | Lillian Bayne speaks to her father about his decision to seek medical assistance in dying: After training at McGill University in Montreal, Bayne began practising medicine in the 1940s, before a publicly funded, single-payer federal health-care system existed in Canada. He devoted his career — which spanned Montreal, Boston and the United Kingdom — to caring for older adults and was outspoken in asking governments to improve life for seniors. "To waste money on these old people who are going to die is not politically attractive," he said, deriding what he says was the attitude of some in power. Bayne became a professor of medicine at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ont., in 1970 and stayed there until his retirement in 1989. Dr. Ronald Bayne poses with then McMaster University president Peter George May in 2006. He received an honorary degree from McMaster in 2006 for his work raising awareness of the need for the specialty of geriatric medicine, which was accredited by Canada's Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons only in 1977. "He has envisioned and initiated programs that work to prevent the warehousing of these often marginalized populations," read the citation for the degree. Along with his passion for medicine and the care of older adults, Bayne lived a life full of adventure, seeking out and telling stories, and embracing a joy of learning with open-mindedness and acceptance. Dr. Ronald Bayne with his wife Barbara in an undated photograph. His wife Barbara, with whom he had five daughters, died in 2017. He had five grandchildren. Bayne's advice to people over 60 is to figure out how to enjoy life with those closest to them. "So they'll have happy memories after you're gone," he said.
Prime minister criticised for reckless promises – while Jonathan Van-Tam warns of ‘great uncertainty’