The actress was fired from 'Scream VII' after posting about the ongoing Israel-Hamas war on social media
Melissa Barrera is in good spirits months after being fired from the Scream franchise.
The actress, 33, who was let go in November from Scream VII after posting about the ongoing Israel-Hamas war on social media, was at the Sundance Film Festival on Thursday to premiere her new film Your Monster. Speaking to The Associated Press on the red carpet, Barrera reflected on life since news of her firing.
“Honestly, I think I finally am becoming who I’m supposed to be in life, and the last few months have been a big awakening of that,” she told the outlet. “I’m just so grateful for everything that’s happened.”
Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from juicy celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.
At the time her firing was announced, Spyglass, the studio behind the films, said in a statement that it held "zero tolerance for antisemitism or the incitement of hate in any form."
Barrera said in a statement after that she was using her social media platform "to raise awareness about issues I care about and to lend my voice to those in need." She also added, "First and foremost I condemn Anti-Semitism and Islamophobia. I condemn hate and prejudice of any kind against any group of people."
News broke the following day that her Scream costar Jenna Ortega had also left the project, though her departure was reportedly not connected to Barrera's exit.
Then, in December, Christopher Landon, who had been named Scream VI's director in August, announced he dropped out of the film. The filmmaker referred to the project as "a dream job that turned into a nightmare."
Original star Neve Campbell, who declined to return for last year's sequel due to a contract dispute, recently The Hollywood Reporter at the BAFTA Tea Party, "I know things are spinning at the moment, and I would imagine they are spinning at the top trying to figure out what they’re going to do."
"I would not be surprised to get a call,” Campbell, 50, added.
“But at the same time, I made a strong statement a few years ago, which is I did not believe that the way that I was treated would’ve happened if I had been a male and that I deserve a certain thing for having carried this franchise for as long as I have," she added.
For more People news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!
Read the original article on People.