Advertisement

Lizzo Says She's Not Quitting Music Following Controversial Social Media Post

Emma McIntyre

Days after posting a social media post claiming she "quit," Lizzo is clearing up the air about her statement.

On March 30, 2024, Lizzo took to Instagram to share a message with her fans. "I'm getting tired of putting up with being dragged by everyone in my life and on the internet. All I want is to make music and make people happy and help the world be a little better than how I found it. But I'm starting to feel like the world doesn't want me in it," the singer's message read. "I'm constantly up against lies being told about me for clout & views... being the butt of the joke every single time because of how I look... my character being picked apart by people who don't know me and disrespecting my name."

Lizzo signed off the message by writing, "I didn't sign up for this sh*t. I QUIT."

Many interpreted the post to mean Lizzo was quitting music altogether, but the singer clarified this stance in a new social video posted on April 2, 2024. "When I say 'I quit,' I mean 'I quit giving any negative energy attention.' What I'm not going to quit is the joy of my life, which is making music, which is connecting [with] people," she says in the video.

"In no way, shape, or form am I the only person who is experiencing that negative voice that seems to be louder than the positive," the singer continued. "If I can just give one person the inspiration or motivation to stand up for themselves and say they quit letting negative people win, negative comments win, then I've done even more than I could have hoped for. With that being said, I'm going to keep moving forward; I'm going to keep being me."

Lizzo ended her video saying, "Once again, I just want to say thank you for the love that I've received. [It] means more than you know."

While Lizzo has taken to social media to share similar stances in the past, her more recent comments arrive in the middle of a still-ongoing sexual harassment lawsuit filed by three of her former dancers in August of last year.

This week, Ron Zambrano, the dancers' attorney, reacted to Lizzo's first social post in a statement to Entertainment Weekly, saying, "It's a joke that Lizzo would say she is being bullied by the internet when she should instead be taking an honest look at herself. Her latest post is just another outburst seeking attention and trying to deflect from her own failings as she continues to blame everyone else for the predicament she is in. Lizzo's legal and public relations strategy is a failure, so she is desperately trying to play the victim."

Stefan Friedman, a spokesperson for Lizzo, responded to Zambrano's comment, saying: "With nearly half his case dismissed, 18 independent witnesses siding with Lizzo and no settlement on the way to get him his tasty contingency fee, Ron has started making wild personal attacks that have absolutely nothing to do with the clients who he is supposedly representing. We would humbly recommend that Ron start representing his clients and stop representing just himself."

In February, Billboard obtained a 34-page court document on Lizzo's case that confirmed an L.A. judge had dismissed some of the three dancers' claims but allowed the case to move forward, as various other claims still need to be handled in court.


Originally Appeared on Teen Vogue


Want more great Culture stories from Teen Vogue? Check these out: