Four things we learned from KU Jayhawks football’s 35-23 loss to No. 3 Oklahoma Sooners

·2 min read

Kansas football’s attempt at a historic upset came up just short.

No. 3 Oklahoma came away with a 35-23 victory on an overcast afternoon at Booth Memorial Stadium, but not before the Jayhawks came close to ending the Sooners’ national championship hopes.

Following a 1-yard touchdown run from Devin Neal, KU led 17-7 with 1:30 left in the third quarter.

Oklahoma was explosive from there, putting up touchdown drives of three plays, four plays and four plays to pull ahead 28-17.

The Jayhawks (1-6) missed out on a couple chances, too. KU failed to pounce on an Oklahoma fumble on the first possession of the second half, while Jayhawks receiver Steven McBride also coughed it up in the fourth quarter for a costly turnover.

Oklahoma quarterback Caleb Williams also helped save the game with a crucial play on a fourth-and-1 from the Sooners’ 46 with OU leading 28-23 late in the fourth quarter. Running back Kennedy Brooks was about to get stuffed for a two-yard loss, but as that happened, Williams ran in and took the ball from him, scrambling forward as Brooks was tackled to advance it five yards for a critical first down.

The Sooners (8-0) finished that drive with a touchdown to complete the final score.

Here are a few other things we learned about KU on Saturday.

Almost history

KU was on the verge of a historic feat as a 38 1/2-point underdog against Oklahoma.

Since 2003 — according to TeamRankings — 38 1/2-point underdogs or worse entered Saturday 1-434 for a .002 win percentage.

First half nearly perfect

KU dominated Oklahoma statistically before halftime while also essentially playing keep-away in taking a 10-0 lead.

The Jayhawks had 195 yards to the Sooners’ 78, while Oklahoma mustered just 17 total plays.

It also was the first time Oklahoma had been shut out in a first half since 2014 when it played Clemson in the College Football Playoff.

Lights out (with lights out)

KU played particularly well when there was no scoreboard to show it.

On the first possession, KU’s campus had a power outage, which knocked out all the videoboards at Booth Memorial Stadium.

Officials continued the game while keeping the time on the field, with KU going on to complete a 14-play, 80-yard touchdown drive that took more than nine minutes off the clock.

After Oklahoma received the ensuing kickoff, power was restored with 5:45 left in the first quarter.

‘No ticket required’

Kansas opened the stadium gates after taking a 17-7 lead in the third quarter.

“The gates are open on the east and west sides of David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium, no ticket required. Show up. Be loud. Rock Chalk,” read a tweet from the KU Athletics account.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting