Kevin’s out in the cold. Will he get home in time for Christmas?
Kevin’s out in the cold. Will he get home in time for Christmas?
Republican David Valadao has reclaimed the U.S. House seat he lost in the California farm belt two years ago. The former congressman defeated Democratic Rep. TJ Cox, who ousted Valadao in the 21st Congressional District two years ago by 862 votes. Valadao had endorsed President Donald Trump after withholding his backing in 2016 — a risk in a swing district the president lost by 15 points four years ago.
MONTREAL — Air Canada pilots have ratified changes to their contract that will help the carrier grow its cargo business, as airlines scramble to minimize the pandemic’s toll on their bottom lines.The Montreal-based airline said Friday that it would convert several of its retired Boeing 767 aircraft to carry freight and that it had appointed a new executive, Jason Berry, to oversee its cargo division."Air Canada and Air Canada Cargo have pivoted quickly to new and unique commercial opportunities in response to evolving market conditions over the past 11 months,” Lucie Guillemette, Air Canada’s chief commercial officer, said in the statement.The airline has looked to cargo as a potential opportunity in an otherwise bleak year. In May, Air Canada announced it was adding flights to Bogota, Lima, Amsterdam, Dublin and Madrid to its cargo service, which includes up to 100 international all-cargo flights per week, according to the airline.With passenger demand low, other major airlines, like American Airlines and United Airlines, have begun operating cargo-only flights this year, hoping to stem their losses. In the third quarter of 2020, United’s cargo revenue jumped nearly 50 per cent compared with the previous year.The announcement Friday came as Canadian airlines await a decision from Ottawa on financial support for the industry. The government pledged in September to provide support for hard-hit businesses in the travel and tourism industries, but it has yet to announce a detailed plan.Air Canada said the pilot contract changes will help it operate more competitively in the cargo business. Michael McKay, chair of the Air Canada Pilots Association’s master elected council, said the organization’s members voted on the revised agreement earlier this month. The Boeing aircraft, which have been grounded and were exiting Air Canada’s fleet, will form a new fleet once they are converted to a freighter configuration, McKay said.Berry, whose appointment as vice president for cargo begins Jan. 1, will join Air Canada from Alaska Airlines' wholly owned subsidiary McGee Air Services, where he was president. He led Alaska Airlines' cargo business from 2012 until June 2019.This report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 27, 2020.Companies in this story: (TSX:AC)Jon Victor, The Canadian Press
Clinton Ferreira preyed on lone women in the Cornwall resort of St Ives, and subjected them to violent sex attacks.
From Cardiff 's shops to Hermes' hubs, the UK has its Covid Black Friday. Covid rules fail to thwart record parcel traffic at Hermes in Hemel Hempstead or shoppers thronging the Welsh capital
The Friday following Thanksgiving Day of each year is Native American Heritage Day. November is Native American Heritage Month.
Ferguson is set to pledge up to £2million towards the FareShare charity.
Hyundai and Kia must pay $137 million in fines and safety improvements because they moved too slowly to recall over 1 million vehicles with engines that can fail. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration announced the penalties on Friday. They resolve a three-year government probe into the companies’ behaviour involving recalls of multiple models dating to the 2011 model year. “It’s critical that manufacturers appropriately recognize the urgency of their safety recall responsibilities and provide timely and candid information to the agency about all safety issues,” NHTSA Deputy Administrator James Owens said in a statement. Hyundai will pay $54 million and invest $40 million to improve safety operations under an agreement reached with the agency. The company must build a field test and inspection laboratory in the U.S. and put new computer systems in place to analyze data to identify safety issues. Another $46 million in penalties will be deferred as long as the Korean automaker meets safety conditions, NHTSA said in a prepared statement. Kia, which is affiliated with Hyundai, must pay $27 million and invest $16 million on safety performance measures. Another $27 million payment will be deferred as long as Kia behaves. Kia will set up a U.S. safety office headed by a chief safety officer. Both companies will have to hire an independent third-party auditor to review their safety practices, and they committed to organizational improvements to identify and investigate potential U.S. safety issues. “We value a collaborative and co-operative relationship with the U.S. Department of Transportation and NHTSA, and will continue to work closely with the agency to proactively identify and address potential safety issues,” Brian Latouf, Hyundai’s chief safety officer, said in a prepared statement. Kia denied the allegations from the U.S. but said Friday that it wanted to avoid a protracted legal fight. “We are pleased to be able to direct our attention to improving and enhancing our recall management processes, and our priority remains making things right for our customers,” the company said in a prepared statement. The U.S. safety agency opened its probe in 2017 after Hyundai recalled about 470,000 vehicles in September of 2015 because debris from manufacturing could restrict oil flow to connecting rod bearings. That could make the bearings wear out and fail, potentially causing the four-cylinder engines to stall or catch fire. The repair was an expensive engine block replacement. NHTSA said in investigation documents that Hyundai limited the recall to engines made before April of 2012, saying it solved the manufacturing problem after that. In addition, Kia didn’t recall its cars and SUVs with the same 2.4-litre and 2-litre “Theta II” engines, contending they were made on a different assembly line at a plant in Alabama. But 18 months after the 2015 recall, both automakers announced recalls of 1.2 million more vehicles for the same problem, including models the automakers originally said weren’t affected, NHTSA said when it opened the investigation. Engine failure and fire problems with Hyundais and Kias have plagued the companies for more than five years, affecting the owners of more than 8 million vehicles. In June of 2018, NHTSA opened two more investigations of the automakers that have yet to be resolved. The agency said it had owner complaints of more than 3,100 fires, 103 injuries and one death. It granted a petition seeking the probes filed by the non-profit Center for Auto Safety, a consumer advocacy group. Jason Levine, executive director of the centre, said they petitioned NHTSA seeking an investigation because no one seemed to be listening to complaints from Hyundai and Kia owners. “Only time will tell if this sort of deferred penalty and mandated investments in safety operations will actually deter similar behaviour in the future by these or other manufacturers,” Levine said. The new investigations, one for Hyundai and the other for Kia, covered non-crash fires in almost 3 million vehicles across the model lineups of the affiliated Korean automakers. In documents, NHTSA reported that it had received complaints of engine compartment fires, as well as fires involving other components including tail light housings, wiring harnesses, and light bulbs. Later the affiliated Korean automakers acknowledged that the engine block replacements may not have been properly done in all cases by dealers. Kia said a pipe carrying high-pressure fuel may have been damaged, misaligned or improperly tightened during the repairs, allowing gas to leak and hit hot engine parts, causing more fires. More recalls followed. Hyundai and Kia have recalled more than 4.7 million vehicles, and they did a “product improvement campaign” covering another 3.7 million to install software that will alert drivers of possible engine failures. Data collected by the Center for Auto Safety show 31 U.S. fire and engine-related recalls from Hyundai and Kia since 2015. The recalls involve more than 20 models from the 2006 through 2021 model years totalling over 8.4 million vehicles. In some cases, such as nearly 200,000 vehicles recalled in September for braking system electrical shorts, the automakers urged owners to park them outside because fires could start after the vehicles were turned off. There also were recalls for brake fluid leaks, fuel pump cracks, damaged catalytic converters and problems with fuel igniting prematurely in the cylinders, all of which could set engines ablaze. Tom Krisher, The Associated Press
Ancient 40ft-long whale skeleton discovered in ThailandScientists hope find will deepen knowledge of whales but also of rising sea levels
We're taking a look back at how the brand became the iconic fashion house it is today.
Top stocks like RioCan Real Estate (TSX:REI.UN) could be better for your personal finances over the long term. The post 100% Returns Over 10 Years or 10% Returns Over 100 Years? appeared first on The Motley Fool Canada.
Prices have been slashed on Lego sets, LOL Surprise dolls, and Nintendo Switch games
The Guardian view on the Brexit endgame: drop the clean break mythThe prime minister needs to look beyond 31 December and start repairing relations with Britain’s neighbours
United States and Tottenham star Alex Morgan voiced her support for Black Lives Matter.
Srinagar (Jammu and Kashmir) [India], November 27 (ANI): Junaid Azim Mattu, who returned as mayor of Srinagar in the recently concluded civic body election, joined Altaf Bukhari-led Jammu and Kashmir Apni Party on Friday.
New Delhi [India], November 27 (ANI): An NGO on Friday moved the Supreme Court challenging a decision of the Central government to "retrospectively extend" the tenure of Sanjay Kumar Mishra as the Director of the Enforcement Directorate.
The union that speaks for jail workers says that COVID-19 is now in all of the Saskatchewan correctional centres.Saskatoon is the hardest hit, with 76 inmates and 15 staff testing positive for the virus as of Friday. That number is expected to rise as more test results come in, said Glenn Billingsley, a labour relations officer with the Saskatchewan Government and General Employees Union (SGEU).Other positive cases include two staff at the Regina jail, one at the Prince Albert Correctional Centre, one at the Paul Dojack Centre, one at Kilburn Hall and one at a Prince Albert youth residence, he said.The Saskatoon jail is not accepting new inmates. People arrested in Saskatoon and remanded will be sent to a jail in another city.Billingsley said he isn't sure how long this will last."That direction could change on any given notice depending on the staff infection rate, as well as the inmate infection rate at all of those centres," he said.Staff at provincial court in Saskatoon on Friday worked with the new reality.Four of the five men arrested in the city Thursday were released this morning — one with an explicit warning from prosecutor Aaron Martens.The man is facing an assault allegation along with six other charges."This is a consent release but only on the narrowest of margins," Martens said."This is because of COVID-19 at the jail."On Thursday, SGEU proposed that the government give jail staff "optional accommodation" so that workers need not return to their households between shifts.It believes this could help prevent transmission of the virus into the community.The government said no."We're extremely disappointed in the government's reaction," Billingsley said."Transmission of the virus causes more stresses and more economic hardship on this province and the economy than simply supplying optional accommodation for our correction workers."What's yours? CBC Saskatchewan wants to hear how the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted you. Share your story with our online questionnaire.
Oisin Murphy drugs ban reduced after claiming 'sexual contact' defence * Rider hit with three-month cocaine ban from French authorities * Jockey stated positive was due to sexual contact with drug user
prevailing against favoured opponents all year. Henry and Co. now face a Colts team who stand in their way of capturing the AFC South.
Now is the time to pgrade your home cinema experience with savings on smart TVs
Everything you need to know ahead of Friday night’s game