Hong Kong police hunt four suspects after homes, cars owned by New Territories village head and family vandalised

Clifford Lo
·2 min read

A police manhunt is under way after the gates and doors of three houses belonging to a Hong Kong village head and his family were doused with paint on Wednesday.

Three cars owned by To Siu-lam, the village representative for Tuen Mun San Tsuen in the New Territories, and his family members were also splashed with corrosive fluid during the incident, which happened shortly before 4am.

It was the fifth attack To, 73, has experienced in recent years.

Get the latest insights and analysis from our Global Impact newsletter on the big stories originating in China.

He said he was injured in a knife attack about four years ago and paint has been poured on his village house three previous times. He said police had made arrests but no one was prosecuted.

The gate of Tuen Mun San Tsuen village in Tuen Mun. Photo: Google
The gate of Tuen Mun San Tsuen village in Tuen Mun. Photo: Google

To said he believed the incidents were linked and showed a “brazen disregard for the law”, but he stopped short of offering a possible motive for the attacks

The latest case came to light when neighbours informed him of the damage at around 8am on Wednesday.

Officers arrived at the scene off Lam Tei Main Street in Tuen Mun shortly after he called police at around 8.42am.

According to police, three cars were splashed with corrosive fluid and the main gates and walls of three village houses were doused with different colours of paint. No one was injured in the incident.

Two suspected triad members among seven held over smashing of glass doors in office block

According to the village head, the houses – one of which he lived in – belonged to his family. He also said he owned one of the involved vehicles.

To said security camera footage showed the attack occurred just before 4am and at least four men clad in black and wearing masks were involved.

Asked whether he would ask police to step up patrols or enhance security around his home, he said: “It is not necessary. I have nothing to fear.”

A police spokesman said the case had been classified as criminal damage.

Officers from the Tuen Mun criminal investigation unit are investigating the attack. So far, no arrests have been made.

Between January and October of 2020, police handled 5,375 reports of criminal damage across the city, down 2.1 per cent from 5,491 in the same period of 2019.

This article Hong Kong police hunt four suspects after homes, cars owned by New Territories village head and family vandalised first appeared on South China Morning Post

For the latest news from the South China Morning Post download our mobile app. Copyright 2021.