A well-designed dining room is a marriage of form and function; also, good food and great company – obvs! Design experts recommend choosing an intimate, inviting space. Practical, comfy furniture is everything. Infuse some personality into the setting via carefully curated home décor. Layer it with pattern, texture and colour via soft furnishings, art and statement furniture pieces. Finally, don’t forget to light it right!
Redecorating your dining room and don’t know where to start?
From the minimalist to the opulent, we serve up 10 delectable dining spaces to inspire you.
MORE ON HOME TOURS:
01. This stunning, 14-foot-long dining table anchors the open-plan living area and kitchen. Supported by a slim, concrete base at one end and a wood-panelled wall at the other, it appears to be afloat. The highlight: Its tabletop is crafted from a single slice of teak!
02. This rustic dining area makes a sharp counterpoint to the rest of the industrial-chic living spaces. Set against an exposed red-brick wall, the 8-seater live-edge dining table is coupled with faux leather chairs. Illuminating this composition is an outsized wooden log pendant lighting fixture. In the foreground, a distressed, turquoise sideboard breaks the living and dining areas.
03. The dining area is the first space you see on entering The Blue Door home. Its black-and-white, linework wallpaper is framed by a teak moulding. A bar fits perfectly into the wall niche and is lined with mirrors to create the illusion of space.
04. The dining area at this villa rental is all about location! Situated at the heart of the home, it's visually connected with both, the social and private spaces. We love the botanical-print, upholstered chairs and the vintage pendants that draw the eye upward.
05. This light-filled dining area doubles as a greenhouse for its plant-loving homeowners. The 19th-century English country home is a tropical jungle of sorts, featuring Indian aesthetics.
06. A jharokha-inspired, stained-glass divider sections off the entrance from the dining area. The space is cosy with a glass-topped, square dining table and vintage chairs.
07. In this dining area, homeowner and interior designer Krsnaa Mehta balances a host of patterns and colours. The space is a reflection of his penchant for Mughal architecture and botanical art. Taking centrestage is his artwork ‘Birdwatcher Dreams’ – also available as a wallpaper design by India Circus.
08. In this space-smart, 1000-square-foot apartment, the formal dining area is built into a niche. A terrazzo and teak bench also serves as a nifty storage space. All furniture is customized. Of note is the table'sscupted wooden base and inlay-work top. The chairs feature a cane-webbed back with specially designed textiles for its upholstered seats.
09. In this opulent South Delhi residence, the dining area is sectioned off by a laser-cut, gold-toned jaali screen. The eight-seater dining table features a semi-precious rose quartz tabletop. It’s complemented by white, upholstered chairs with brass lionhead detailing. Completing the luxe space is a linear crystal chandelier, a metal-accent console and modern wallpaper.