Who is the highest-paid shortstop in MLB? Rangers' Corey Seager sets the standard
After two frenzied winters and nearly $1.5 billion guaranteed to free agent shortstops, Corey Seager still stands alone.
The two-time All-Star shortstop and former World Series MVP signed a 10-year, $325 million contract with the Texas Rangers in November 2021 – less than 24 hours after the club reached an agreement with Marcus Semien on a $175 million, seven-year pact.
It was then the second-largest free agent contract in MLB history and it's still the largest contract signed by a free-agent shortstop, even after this past offseason when Trea Turner, Xander Bogaerts, Carlos Correa and Dansby Swanson all heated up the market.
While the total compensation falls short of the 10- and 14-year deals signed by Francisco Lindor and Fernando Tatis Jr. (now an outfielder), respectively, Seager will still be at or near the top of annual shortstop compensation almost every year.
Who are the highest-paid MLB shortstops in 2023?
Here's the top 10:
1. Corey Seager, Texas, $35,500,000
2. Carlos Correa, Minnesota, $33,333,333
3. Francisco Lindor, N.Y. Mets, $32,477,277
4. Trea Turner, Philadelphia, $27,272,727
5. Xander Bogaerts, San Diego, $25,454,545
6. Javier Báez, Detroit, $22,000,000
7. Brandon Crawford, San Francisco, $16,000,000
8. Dansby Swanson, Chi. Cubs, $14,000,000
9. Tim Anderson, Chi. White Sox, $12,500,000
10. J.P. Crawford, Seattle, $11,000,000
2023 MLB SALARIES: Database of every player on the opening day roster
Who is highest-paid MLB player at each position in 2023?
Catcher | First baseman | Second baseman | Third baseman | Outfielder | DH | Starting pitcher | Relief pitcher
MLB WIN TOTALS: Predicting every team's record for the new season
WHO'S NEXT? MLB's 100 Names You Need To Know For 2023
What are the biggest contracts ever for a shortstop in MLB?
Here's the list, by total value:
1. Francisco Lindor, $341,000,000 (2022-31)
2. Fernando Tatis, $340,000,000 (2021-34)
3. Corey Seager, $325,000,000 (2022-31)
4. Trea Turner, $300,000,000 (2023-33)
5. Xander Bogaerts, $280,000,000 (2023-33)
6. Alex Rodriguez, $252,000,000 (2001-10)
7. Carlos Correa, $200,000,000 (2023-28)
8. Derek Jeter, $189,000,000 (2001-10)
9. Wander Franco, $182,000,000 (2022-32)
10. Dansby Swanson, $177,000,000 (2023-29)
Source: USA TODAY Sports, Cot's Baseball Contracts
This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Highest-paid MLB shortstop: Biggest SS salaries for 2023 season