Jamie Foxx’s younger sister, DeOndra Dixon, has died at age 36. The Oscar-winning actor shared the sad news on social media, writing that the “pain is unbelievable.”
Jamie Foxx’s younger sister, DeOndra Dixon, has died at age 36. The Oscar-winning actor shared the sad news on social media, writing that the “pain is unbelievable.”
If you are familiar with the legendary jackpot slot, Cleopatra’s Gold, you need to head to Springbok Casino on 16 June for Cleopatra Deluxe
A Japanese freelance journalist in Myanmar who was jailed and charged with spreading false news or information that could cause public unrest will be freed by the country’s ruling junta as a gesture of friendship with Japan, a state television report said Thursday. The announcement on Myanmar's army-run Myawaddy TV said Yuki Kitazumi had been arrested on April 18 for “inciting” the country’s anti-military civil disobedience movement and riots. “Although the journalist is a lawbreaker, the case will be closed and he will be released at the request of the Special Envoy of the Japanese Government for National Reconciliation in Myanmar, in view of the close ties and future relations between Myanmar and Japan," said a news reader, quoting an official statement from the junta, formally called the State Administrative Council.
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) — Missouri Gov. Mike Parson dropped plans Thursday to expand the state's Medicaid health care program to thousands of low-income adults after the Republican-led Legislature refused to provide funding for the voter-approved measure. The Republican governor said his administration had withdrawn a request to expand coverage that had been submitted to the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services in compliance with a constitutional amendment passed by voters last August. He noted that the state's $35 billion budget approved by lawmakers last week didn't provide the funding he had requested for an expansion of Medicaid, which is known is Missouri as MO HealthNet. "Without a revenue source or funding authority from the General Assembly, we are unable to proceed with the expansion at this time and must withdraw our State Plan Amendments to ensure Missouri’s existing MO HealthNet program remains solvent,” Parson said Thursday. The decision is likely to trigger a lawsuit from supporters of Medicaid expansion. “This is going to end up in court — the governor knows it’s going to end up in court,” said Richard von Glahn, policy director for Missouri Jobs With Justice, one of the organization supporting Medicaid expansion. Missouri Hospital Association spokesman Dave Dillon expressed disappointment over Parson’s decision and said the association would coordinate with other Medicaid expansion supporters about the best way to proceed with litigation. Democratic lawmakers denounced Parson's decision. House Minority Leader Crystal Quade said Parson had broken his promise to uphold the constitution. Senate Minority Leader John Rizzo said in a written statement that the governor was “caving to the new Authoritarian Republican Regime that doesn't respect the outcome of elections.” Though the federal government would fund the vast majority of a Medicaid expansion, some Republican lawmakers said the state cannot afford its share of the long-term costs under the terms of a law signed by President Barack Obama in 2010. The constitutional amendment passed by voters required Parson's administration to submit a plan to federal officials to expand Medicaid by March 1, which he did. The ballot measure stated that people ages 19-65 earning up to 138% of the federal poverty level — less than $17,774 annually for an individual or less than $37,570 for a family of four — “shall be eligible” and “shall receive coverage” for Medicaid benefits starting July 1. The amendment did not change existing eligibility standards for children and seniors, and it did not say how to pay for the expansion that is projected to cover about 275,000 people. Parson had opposed Medicaid expansion at the ballot box, but he said he would uphold the will of voters and so included $1.9 billion in federal and state funding for it in the budget he proposed to lawmakers earlier this year. While dropping the expansion plan Thursday, Parson referenced a June 2020 state appeals court ruling that the ballot measure didn't direct or restrict the Legislature's ability to decide how to fund Medicaid. Although the Legislature didn't include specific funding for the expansion, Democrats and some health care advocates contend the additional low-income adults could be covered from the general pool of funds that was allotted for Medicaid. “Cancer patients cannot wait for legal battles to access the life-saving coverage that Medicaid expansion provides,” said Emily Kalmer, the Missouri government relations director for the society's Cancer Action Network. The Legislature's refusal to add money for the Medicaid expansion is not the first time that Missouri lawmakers have sought to undo measures passed by voters. Last year, legislators placed a measure on the ballot to reverse key parts of a redistricting measure approved by voters in 2018. Voters approved the lawmakers' revised version. A decade ago, the Legislature also revised a voter-approved measure imposing regulations on dog-breeding businesses. ___ This story has been corrected to indicate that the ballot measure vote was in August, not November. David A. Lieb, The Associated Press
No need to pick up a separate Roku, Apple TV or Fire TV device — this TV comes with video streaming for watching Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, HBO Max and more.
CLEMMONS, N.C. (AP) — Gas pumps remained shrouded by plastic bags Thursday at thousands of service stations across more than a dozen U.S. states, despite a pipeline company's claims of “substantial progress" in restarting its supply line. Nearly 70% of North Carolina's gas stations were still without fuel, as were about half the stations in South Carolina and Georgia, GasBuddy.com reported. Drivers on the East Coast were also having trouble, with more than half the stations tapped out in Virginia and Washington, D.C., the site's tracking service showed. In a Thursday update, Georgia based-Colonial Pipeline said gasoline delivery is now underway in most of its markets. The pipeline stretches from Texas to New Jersey, but the northeastern U.S. has seen fewer disruptions since those states are supplied more by other sources such as ocean tankers. Gas is flowing again across most of the Deep South, and other parts that were offline in the Mid-Atlantic region were expected to become operational later Thursday, the company said. “We are not out of the woods yet, but the trees are thinning out,” Richard Joswick, global head of oil analytics at S&P Global Platts said in an email. He estimates that full recovery for the East Coast and Gulf Coast will take a couple of weeks at least due to lags and limits for all shipping options. The cybersecurity attack on the Colonial Pipeline forced a temporary shutdown of the nation's largest fuel pipeline, prompting panic buying and long lines that quickly wiped out supplies around the southeastern U.S. The company resumed pipeline operations late Wednesday, but said it would take several days for deliveries to return to normal. The run on gas had North Carolina tow-truck driver Jonathan King worried about whether he could do his job. “I drive all over the place,” King said at a packed gas station outside Winston-Salem on Wednesday. “It gets really busy. And yeah, with the fuel going the way it’s going, it’s going to be very hard for us. Hopefully we’ll be able to get through it.” The governors of both North Carolina and Virginia declared states of emergency to help ensure access. Other governors urged people not to hoard supplies. Mary Goldburg, 60, of Norfolk, Virginia, said she needs her car for work but also to see her grandchildren — whom she barely got to see last year. Her job includes delivering T-shirts for events and other promotional products. “I can’t get paid until my customers get their products,” said Goldburg as a slow-operating pump filled her tank for more than 20 minutes at a 7-Eleven. Restaurants and bars, which are already struggling to fill job openings, will find themselves particularly squeezed, said Robert McNab, an economics professor at Virginia’s Old Dominion University. Some customers may abandon plans to eat out. “In all likelihood, these service workers will be impacted most significantly, with rising fuel and food prices eating a larger part of their household budgets and income being reduced this month by the fear-induced shortage of gasoline,” McNab said. The Colonial Pipeline delivers about 45% of the fuel consumed on the East Coast. There is no gasoline shortage, according to government officials and energy analysts, just delays in delivering the fuel from Gulf Coast refineries. The distribution problems have been fraying nerves. Two people were charged with assault after spitting in each other's faces over spots in a line at a Marathon station in Knightdale, outside Raleigh, on Tuesday afternoon, authorities said. In Walton County, Georgia, paramedic Jeff Lisle had just under a quarter-tank of gas in his Jeep and found a small amount in the cans he uses for his lawnmower in case he needed the extra boost to get to work. As for the ambulances he works in, “we have to buy fuel at gas stations like everybody else does,” he said. Whenever possible, the ambulances have been stopping to refuel when they’re lucky enough to drive past a station with gas. The shutdown even affected hikers long the Appalachian Trail, which stretches from Georgia to Maine. They depend on cars and vans to access the trail and get supplies. “Everybody’s out here buying from the same gas pumps, so the lines are long, some are out -- you’ve really got to look for it,” said Ron Brown, who operates Ron’s Appalachian Trail Shuttles, which takes hikers from Atlanta’s airport into the north Georgia mountains. But he said that hikers are resourceful enough to get where they need to go. “It will get rectified because it’s a big deal, and everybody needs gas,” he said. “We’ll just make due until it does.” ___ Associated Press writer Cathy Bussewitz in New York contributed. Finley reported from Norfolk, Virginia. Martin reported from Marietta, Georgia. Tom Foreman Jr., Jeff Martin And Ben Finley, The Associated Press
NASCAR has lifted its mask mandate for competitors when outdoors in the garage and pit areas starting this weekend at Dover International Speedway. Masks will still be required when competitors are inside any buildings or team haulers, NASCAR said Thursday. NASCAR says its focus is on encouraging everyone to get vaccinated and preventing indoor spread of COVID-19.
Cooch Behar (West Bengal) [India], May 13 (ANI): West Bengal Governor Jagdeep Dhankhar, who is on a visit to areas affected by post-poll violence in the state, was shown black flags by a group of people who also raised slogans in Sitalkuchi in Cooch Behar district on Thursday.
"I was contracted to do Gulliver's Travels. I didn't want to do Gulliver's Travels," Blunt admitted.
A bill to increase the fees that companies planning the biggest mergers pay to government antitrust agencies and to give those agencies bigger budgets passed the Senate Judiciary Committee on Thursday on a voice vote. The bill - co-sponsored by Amy Klobuchar, the top antitrust senator, and Chuck Grassley, the top Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee - would lower the fee for smaller mergers under $161.5 million from $45,000 to $30,000. The Federal Trade Commission and Justice Department's Antitrust Division assess mergers to ensure that they comply with antitrust law.
The anticipated major league debuts of outfielder Jarred Kelenic and pitcher Logan Gilbert are part of a big roster reshuffling for the Seattle Mariners. Kelenic and Gilbert moved up from Triple-A Tacoma on Thursday ahead of their debuts that night against Cleveland. Gilbert will start on the mound, while Kelenic is expected to start in left field and bat leadoff as two of Seattle's prized prospects finally reach the majors.
Not surprisingly, the speakers were mostly uncritical of the government and its handling of the COVID crisis.
Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden appeared before MPs after there have been widespread calls for a cultural work permit deal to be reached.
Entrepreneur and author Steven Bartlett, 28, is to join the BBC business investment show.
The "Agricultural Micronutrients Market Global Forecast by Products, Forms, Crops, Regions, Company Analysis" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
Stable Road Acquisition Corp. (NASDAQ: SRAC, SRACU, and SRACW) ("Stable Road" or the "Company") announced today that at the special meeting of stockholders (the "Special Meeting") held on May 13, 2021, the Company’s stockholders approved a proposal to extend the deadline by which the Company has to consummate the proposed business combination with Momentus Inc. ("Momentus") from May 13, 2021 to August 13, 2021 (the "Extension Amendment Proposal").
All aboard McDonald's stock following its surprising minimum wage hike?
NEW YORK (AP) — Fox News Channel is creating weekend shows for commentator Dan Bongino and former U.S. Rep. Trey Gowdy starting early next month. Bongino, who has become a popular online personality and commentator, will host a show on Saturdays at 10 p.m. Eastern starting on June 5. As part of a new deal with Fox, the Fox Nation streaming site will also stream Bongino's weekday radio show, which airs at noon, Fox News Media said on Wednesday. Gowdy, the former South Carolina congressman and Fox contributor, will host a show on Sundays at 7 p.m. Eastern, starting on June 6. Fox also said it will begin hour-long panel talk shows on both weekend evenings, starting at 5 p.m. Eastern. The cable news networks in general have been beefing up their live weekend programming over the past year or so. The Associated Press
"We do want to have kids, and I love kids," Vanderpump Rules star Tom Schwartz tells PEOPLE
MONCTON, N.B. — RCMP in New Brunswick were responding Thursday to what they called a credible report of shots fired near a Moncton park, but they say there have been no reports of injuries. An Alert Ready message was issued in the area at 10:17 a.m., advising residents, schools and businesses near Centennial Park to lock their doors, shelter in place and stay away from windows. RCMP Cpl. Hans Ouellette said police responded to a call at 8:30 a.m. of shots fired in the area. New Brunswick RCMP tweeted that the report of gunfire "has been confirmed as credible and no injuries have been reported." The RCMP asked the public not to call 911 or police seeking additional information. "It's important to keep police phone lines available for information related to locate the individual," they wrote on Twitter. They asked anyone with information that could assist in the investigation to contact them immediately. Ouellette said residents living near the park, including Millennium Boulevard, Killam Drive and Russ Howard Drive, should "lock their doors, stay away from the windows and shelter in place." RCMP are asking the public not to post information on social media about police locations or operations. The Anglophone East School District says schools in the area are on lockdown, and the public will be notified as more direction is provided by the RCMP. The affected schools are Bessborough, Hillcrest, Harrison Trimble and Bernice MacNaughton High School. Moncton Christian Academy is also on lockdown. Staff there say they were told by police to keep students inside with doors locked. The Horizon Health Network has closed its COVID-19 assessment centre and blood collection clinic at the Moncton Coliseum as a result of the incident. Ouellette said the public should monitor the RCMP social media sites, and another Alert Ready message would be issued when the incident is over. This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 13, 2021. — By Kevin Bissett in Fredericton. The Canadian Press
The Canadian province of Quebec will no longer offer first doses of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine as of Thursday, but will offer second doses using current supplies and future deliveries, the province's health ministry said in a release. Most provinces made similar announcements on Monday and Tuesday, mainly citing concerns about supply, though officials in Ontario and Nova Scotia said the move was also based on a rise in the incidence of rare blood clots linked to the vaccine. Canada's vaccine supply has expanded significantly in recent weeks, mostly thanks to shipments from Pfizer.