Disgraced Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein is pleading not guilty in California for a second time.
Weinstein pleaded not guilty Monday to 11 sexual assault counts, including a recently reinstated sexual assault charge, after being extradited to Los Angeles to face sex-crimes charges including forcible rape and forcible oral copulation, Los Angeles district attorney's spokesman Greg Risling confirmed.
In July, Judge Lisa B. Lench rejected one count of sexual battery by restraint due to a statute-of-limitations technicality, but prosecutors returned to the grand jury weeks later for a new indictment with amended language.
Weinstein still faces 11 counts of sexual assault dating back to 2004. Weinstein pleaded not guilty to all of them last month in his first court appearance in the California case. He was extradited in June from New York, where he is serving a 23-year sentence for convictions of rape and sexual assault.
Harvey Weinstein: Judge rejects sexual assault count
Bill Cosby's release: What does this mean for Harvey Weinstein?
During Monday's hearing in Los Angeles, the district attorney's office also filed a motion to allow several new Weinstein accusers to testify at the upcoming trial, despite not being charged in the original indictment.
In response, Weinstein's defense attorney Mark Werksman said he is opposing the introduction of these "uncharged allegations which are unproved, uncredible and should have no place in this trial" in a statement to USA TODAY.
The next hearing is set for Dec. 7.
Weinstein was first charged with the previously-dismissed count in January 2020, before the statute of limitations had expired. Prosecutors then got an indictment from a grand jury on an identical count six months later, when the time had lapsed. Other charges against Weinstein are for even older incidents, but different statutes apply to them.
Erie County Assistant District Attorney Colleen Curtin Gable argued at the time that "Los Angeles County absolutely met the requirements of the statue on detainers" which governs interstate extradition.
Weinstein's New York lawyer, Norman Effman, argued the opposite, citing, among other reasons, that the latest paperwork submitted by Los Angeles prosecutors did not specifically list all the charges, which began with five counts but later increased to 11.
"What the district attorney is saying to us here is that these papers are 'close enough, we almost have it right,' but they don't have it right," Effman said. "We are challenging the paperwork because it’s not right, it’s wrong. It’s a legal technicality based on due process and constitutional right and what the statues and courts have ruled."
More into #MeToo: Harvey Weinstein has been behind bars for a year: What's changed?
Contributing: Andrew Dalton, The Associated Press; Maria Puente, USA TODAY
This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Harvey Weinstein pleads not guilty again to sexual assault counts