Government to release business case in support of new Royal B.C. Museum

·1 min read

VICTORIA — The British Columbia government says it will lay out its case for building a new Royal B.C. Museum after the Opposition took aim at the initiative as a "billion-dollar vanity project."

A news release from Tourism Minister Melanie Mark says there has been interest in the business case since the government announced the $789-million rebuilding plan last Friday.

She says the government will release its business case next Wednesday.

Last week, Liberal Leader Kevin Falcon said he would halt building plans if he became premier, while he criticized the timing of Premier John Horgan's announcement of the project, which comes as the province faces a doctor shortage and soaring cost of living.

Falcon called on the NDP to use the money earmarked for the project to help people pay their bills instead.

Horgan defended the decision Thursday, saying he is curious about the timing of the Opposition's criticism after they “ignored this question for 12 years, and then all of a sudden decide that it is a negative rather than a positive to the people of B.C."

This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 19, 2022.

The Canadian Press

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting