God of War Ragnarök developers have spoken out against harassment from fans after a heavily-rumoured release date trailer did not release this week.
Industry insiders, including Bloomberg's Jason Schreier, stated that an announcement regarding the highly-anticipated sequel was due just before the end of June, but for an unknown reason it has been delayed.
On June 29, director Cory Barlog asked fans to have a little patience, tweeting: "Dear all, if it were up to me I would share all the information when I know about it. but it is not up to me. So please, be patient. I promise things will be shared at the earliest possible moment they can be.we make games for you. we get to make games because of you."
But Barlog was less calm with people after Sony Santa Monica's Estelle Tigani revealed that people had been sending her inappropriate images in a bid to encourage her to reveal the release date.
An understandably angry Barlog quote-tweeted Tigani and added: "I cannot believe I even have to say this but don't f**king send dick pics to ANYONE on this team, or anyone in this industry for that matter. They are busting their ass to make something for you to enjoy. Show some f**king respect."
Meanwhile, story writer Alanah Pearce also said: "Screaming at people over video game release dates doesn't accomplish anything at all. Even if harassing people did cause them to give you a date (never), you also gain nothing at all by finding out before a team is ready to share."
— Santa Monica Studio – God of War Ragnarök (@SonySantaMonica) July 1, 2022
Finally, the official Sony Santa Monica Twitter account said that they "understand the passion and desire for more information" but that shouldn't mean people should be toxic and disrespectful.
Schreier and other insiders believe that the game is still on track for a November release, but even if it were to get delayed, that would only result in a better game with more polish and less bugs.
You Might Also Like