Male suspect shot dead by armed officers, police confirm
Six people injured and being treated in hospital, including police officer
Police say incident was contained and wider public is not at risk
Incident not being treated as terrorism
Nicola Sturgeon says reports are ‘truly dreadful’ and urges people not to share unconfirmed information
A male suspect has been shot dead by police after a stabbing attack in a Glasgow hotel.
Six people were injured, including a police officer who is in a critical condition, during the “serious” incident at the Park Inn Hotel on West George Street at around 12.50pm on Friday afternoon.
Police Scotland have confirmed the attack is not being treated as terrorism.
All six injured people, including the 42-year-old officer, are being treated in hospital.
The other victims were men aged 17, 18, 20, 38 and 53.
“The individual who was shot by armed police has died. Six other people are in hospital for treatment to their injuries including a police officer, who is in a critical but stable condition”, assistant chief constable Steve Johnson said.
“We are continuing to deal with the incident on West George Street, Glasgow, and would ask people to avoid the area.
“We would urge the public not to speculate about this incident or share unconfirmed information on social media.”
Earlier, Johnson said the incident had been contained and reassured the public that police are not looking for anyone else in relation to the incident.
Multiple reports shortly after the stabbing speculated that three people were feared dead.
Confirming the injured officer is male, Scottish Police Federation chairman David Hamilton said in a statement: “Whilst there is understandable and considerable public interest in the major incident in Glasgow earlier today, our focus at this time is in assisting the family of our colleague who has been seriously injured.
“This is obviously an anxious time for them and we ask that they be left alone as their attentions are very obviously directed towards the care of their loved one.”
First minister Nicola Sturgeon tweeted: “My thoughts are with all those who have been injured in the incident in Glasgow today. My sincere thanks go to our emergency services.”
1/ My thoughts are with all those who have been injured in the incident in Glasgow today.— Nicola Sturgeon (@NicolaSturgeon) June 26, 2020
My sincere thanks go to our emergency services. The injury of a @policescotland officer is a reminder of the great bravery our police officers show every day as they work to keep us safe. https://t.co/qf3cGMLmUy
2/ Please follow @policescotland for official updates. Some of the information that has been circulating is unconfirmed/inaccurate - and the situation is serious enough without that. And let’s all keep the injured and their families uppermost in our thoughts— Nicola Sturgeon (@NicolaSturgeon) June 26, 2020
Images on social media showed armed police entering a building and a large number of emergency vehicles, while some reports said witnesses had seen multiple people being helped by paramedics.
Witness Craig Milroy, who saw the aftermath of the incident from a nearby office building, said he saw four people taken away in ambulances.
He told the PA news agency he saw a man lying on the ground with no shoes on, saying “He was on the ground with someone holding his side – I don’t know if it was a bullet wound, a stab wound, or what it was.”
He said the man was one of the four taken away by medics, adding: “After that we saw commotion, ambulances further up and we saw armed police all running into the hotel next to the Society Room.
“We were still standing outside, after that the police all came down, the riot police and triage team told us to go back in and lock the door.”
Prime Minister Boris Johnson tweeted: “Deeply saddened by the terrible incident in Glasgow, my thoughts are with all the victims and their families. Thank you to our brave emergency services who are responding.”
Deeply saddened by the terrible incident in Glasgow, my thoughts are with all the victims and their families.— Boris Johnson #StayAlert (@BorisJohnson) June 26, 2020
Thank you to our brave emergency services who are responding.
Deeply alarming reports coming from Glasgow.— Priti Patel (@pritipatel) June 26, 2020
Please follow police advice and avoid the area.
Thoughts are with the emergency services as they continue to respond to this incident.
Home Secretary Priti Patel said: “Deeply alarming reports coming from Glasgow. Please follow police advice and avoid the area.
“Thoughts are with the emergency services as they continue to respond to this incident.”
Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer tweeted: “Extremely concerning reports about an incident in the West George Street area of Glasgow. My thoughts are with all of those who are involved. Please following the @GreaterGlasgPol advice and avoid the area.”
Scotland’s Justice Minister Humza Yousaf urged people not to circulate rumours or hearsay, saying: “Police Scotland will share information publically [sic] as and when appropriate.”
The 91-room Park Inn Hotel was housing asylum seekers for the Mears Group, which moved them there during the coronavirus lockdown.
Tom Flanagan Kartunnen, of the Radisson Hotel Group, said: “We are deeply saddened by the tragic event that happened today on West George Street in Glasgow.
“During the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the hotel has been occupied for temporary housing.”
He added: “We are working with the hotel owner and all the relevant local authorities, including Police Scotland, to support the investigation.”