Fred VanVleet didn't go into great detail about what transpired between himself and Collin Sexton but offered a few thoughts on the exchange.
Fred VanVleet didn't go into great detail about what transpired between himself and Collin Sexton but offered a few thoughts on the exchange.
Andy Cooke, Chief Constable of Merseyside Police, said if he was given a £5bn budget to cut crime, most of it would be spent trying to tackle poverty.
The US space agency is ready to attempt the first powered, controlled flight on another planet.
INVESTIGATION ALERT: The Schall Law Firm Announces it is Investigating Claims Against AppLovin Corporation.
MONTREAL — The federal government announced it was mobilizing its own resources and co-ordinating with lesser-hit provinces to send health-care workers and other support to help Ontario as it battles record-breaking COVID-19 numbers. Intergovernmental Affairs Minister Dominic LeBlanc told a news conference that the federal government will co-ordinate and cover all the cost of relocating health-care workers who are sent to help from other provinces, including by using military aircraft. Some Atlantic provinces are expected to provide estimates of the number of personnel they can send in the next day or two, he said, adding the federal government is also drawing up lists of available staff that could be deployed from departments such as national defence and immigration. LeBlanc held a media availability along with Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan, Health Minister Patty Hajdu, and Public Safety Minister Bill Blair to announce emergency aid for the hard-hit province. Leblanc told The Canadian Press in an interview that the federal government decided to take a "leadership role" after Ontario reached out to other provinces and territories for assistance. Ottawa has offered to cover the costs of health-care personnel deployed from elsewhere to help in Ontario, Leblanc said. "Newfoundland is hoping by tomorrow or Tuesday to have a clear picture of the first tranche," Leblanc said. "The same thing is true with the other Atlantic provinces." It wasn't immediately clear how the Ontario government would respond to Ottawa's offer. The Ontario government appeared on Friday to reject Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s offer to mobilize several mobile vaccination clinics through the Canadian Red Cross to help the province get injections in arms. Trudeau said in a video update earlier Sunday that health workers employed by federal government departments would be redeployed to Ontario, and the Greater Toronto Area in particular. The timeline for any such deployment was unclear. LeBlanc said both he and Trudeau had spoken with several premiers across the country who expressed concern about the situation in Ontario and voiced an interest in helping. "I think at a moment like this, the whole country says to itself, 'What can we do to help the people of Ontario?" Leblanc said. He added that Dr. Allison Furey, the wife of Newfoundland and Labrador's premier, would be part of the Atlantic contingent heading to Ontario. Speaking earlier in the video he posted to social media, Trudeau said he had discussed Ontario's plight with the premiers of Newfoundland and Labrador, Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia. "They are working hard to determine what human resources and equipment they could free up over the coming days," he said. He said the federal government will also work with Ontario cities to deploy rapid tests to hard-hit locations. His statement came as hospitalizations and admissions to intensive care units continued to reach record heights in Ontario, which reported 4,250 new COVID-19 infections in the the last 24 hours. Premier Doug Ford announced a number of new restrictions to quell the skyrocketing numbers, but has faced pressure to roll back limits on outdoor activities, which critics have said will do little to stop the spread. Meanwhile, data released by Canada's chief public health officer shows that the average daily number of hospitalizations and deaths in the country jumped by more than 30 per cent between April 9 and 15 compared to the week before. The latest national-level data found that an average of 3,428 people with COVID-19 were being treated in Canadian hospitals each day during the most recent seven-day reporting period, representing a 34 per cent increase over the week before. An average of 41 people died each day during the same period, which is 38 per cent higher than the previous week. Dr. Theresa Tam said cases, test positivity rates and intensive care admissions are all rising as Canada battles a wave of COVID-19 that is driven by more contagious variants. Quebec, meanwhile, reported more than 1,300 new infections in the past 24 hours. Prince Edward Island reported three new cases, while Nova Scotia logged seven and New Brunswick added 10. Farther west, Manitoba recorded 170 new cases of the virus and one added death, while Saskatchewan counted 289 new cases and one death. This report by The Canadian Press was first published April 18, 2021 The Canadian Press
Party colleagues paid tribute to the ‘indefatigable’ ex-Oxfam chief.
KENOSHA, Wis. — Authorities say they have apprehended a person in connection with a shooting at a busy tavern in southeastern Wisconsin early Sunday that left three men dead and three men injured. Kenosha County Sheriff's Department spokesman Sgt. David Wright said the suspect is facing a charge of first-degree intentional homicide, with additional criminal charges likely after further investigation. Authorities said earlier they weren't sure if there was more than one shooter. “There is no threat to the community at this time,” Wright said in a release. He said no further information on the suspect would be released Sunday. Kenosha County Sheriff David Beth said earlier a suspect was asked to leave the Somers House Tavern in Kenosha County but returned and opened fire. Beth said shots were fired inside and outside the bar, which he described as “very busy” at the time. He said he believed at least one handgun was used. Kenosha is about 30 miles (50 kilometres) south of Milwaukee, not far from the Wisconsin-Illinois border. Officials originally said two people were injured but said they were checking with hospitals for people who may have been hurt in the shooting. Wright said in the updated release that authorities believe there is one “possible unknown shooting victim.” Beth said two people died at the scene. The third person hopped in a car with two other people, who moments later flagged down a police vehicle. The officer drove the victim to a hospital where that person was pronounced dead, Beth said. Wright said investigators have reviewing surveillance video from the scene. The tavern installed video cameras a couple of years ago, Beth said, but he didn't know if the surveillance video is from the business. Wright called it a complex investigation that involves several crime scenes. “Detectives have followed up on multiple leads and gathered surveillance video evidence during extensive neighbourhood canvasses,” he said. A man who lives near the bar, Peter Ploskee, told WLS-TV that he heard gun shots, looked out a window and saw "people running from the bar in every direction.” “It was just chaos,” he said. “People are just running, people screaming.” Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers called it a “senseless tragedy” and said he and his wife are “thinking of the families and loved ones affected and the entire Kenosha community as they grieve and grapple with yet another tragic incident of gun violence.” It was the latest in a recent string of shootings across the country, including the killings of eight people at a FedEx warehouse in Indianapolis on Thursday. Last month, four people were killed at an office shooting in California, eight people were fatally shot at massage businesses in the Atlanta area, and 10 died in gunfire at a supermarket in Boulder, Colorado. The nearby city of Kenosha was the scene of serious unrest last summer, after police shot a young Black man, Jacob Blake, leaving him paralyzed. A white Illinois teenager was accused of fatally shooting two people during the Kenosha protests. Kyle Rittenhouse of Antioch is charged with homicide and attempted homicide in the Aug. 25 shootings. He has pleaded not guilty and says he fired in self-defence. The Associated Press
Johnson largely missed a lap 1 wreck and then spun by himself a few laps later. But Sunday's race could have been a whole lot worse.
TORONTO — There's no immediate word on whether Ontario's government will accept Ottawa's offer to send health-care workers to support the province's overtaxed health-care system. But a spokeswoman for Ontario's health minister says the government is grateful for the federal show of support during the COVID-19 pandemic. The comments from Christine Elliott's office come hours after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced he was scouring government departments to send all available health-care workers to Ontario, as well as preparing the pick up the tab to bring in personnel from other provinces. Two days earlier, Premier Doug Ford issued a nationwide appeal for support for Ontario's strained hospitals and other health-care resources. Ford's office did not respond to a request for comment on Sunday. The prime minister also said Ottawa would send more COVID-19 tests to Ontario. Prince Edward Island on the weekend became the latest province to say it would like to help but noted it, too, is fighting the pandemic at home. Meanwhile, provincial opposition parties accused Ford of trying to hide from the anger caused by restrictions experts said were ineffective at curbing the pandemic spread, as well as his unwillingness to legislate paid sick days for workers. Those accusations stemmed from word that the government was planning to shut down the legislature as early as Wednesday. Opposition Leader Andrea Horwath said her New Democrats would not agree to any legislature shutdown until the Progressive Conservative government had reversed what she described as its "dangerous police-state orders" and replaced them with public health measures. "We are not prepared to help Doug Ford go home, leaving a police state in place while he allows COVID-19 to run rampant, overrun hospitals, and steal the lives of Ontarians who would otherwise make it through this,” Horwath said in a statement. In response, government House leader Paul Calandra said the proposed closure was to protect legislature support staff from COVID-19, something he said could not be accomplished by a virtual sitting. "The government presented options to adjourn the legislature to keep those who support elected officials safe," Calandra said in a statement. "As is typical, the NDP have used this as an opportunity to score the cheapest of political points in the midst of a pandemic." The legislature is currently scheduled to sit until June. Calandra said it would be in session this week, but did not provide more specific details. Liberal Leader Steven Del Duca accused Ford of "hiding from the outrage he caused with his reckless actions and anti-science agenda." This report by The Canadian Press was first published April 18, 2021. The Canadian Press
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — Javier “Chicharito” Hernandez scored two goals, Sacha Kljestan added another and the LA Galaxy rallied to beat Inter Miami 3-2 on Sunday in the season opener for both teams. Kljestan bent a left-footer around a defender and off the near post to break a 2-2 tie in the 81st minute. It was the 35-year-old's first goal since 2019 for Orlando City. Robbie Robinson, a 22-year-old in his second MLS season, scored his first career goal to give Miami a 1-0 lead in first-half stoppage time. Gonzalo Higuain ran onto a long, arcing ball by Rodolfo Pizarro from beyond midfield and tapped it to Robinson, who put away a first-timer. Chicharito, who played 12 games for the Galaxy last season, scored his first MLS goal — ripping a left-footer from the corner of the 6-yard box between the legs of goalkeeper John McCarthy — to make it 1-all in the 62nd minute. Higuain put Miami back in front when he converted from the penalty spot in the 68th, but Chicharito tapped in a rebound from point-blank range in the 72nd minute. ___ More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports The Associated Press
Six Premier League clubs are reportedly planning to join a breakaway competition.
The honeymoon between Jaguars fans and Trevor Lawrence isn't ending anytime soon.
The Department of Health announced four new cases of COVID-19 this weekend — all in the Eastern Health region — as Newfoundland and Labrador's total case count crept up to 22. Three of the cases were confirmed on Saturday, the department said in a news release on Sunday. The first is a man between 20 and 39 years old, while the second case is a man in his 40s; both are related to international travel. The third case is a woman in her 40s who was a close contact of a previous case. On Sunday, a man between 20 and 39 was diagnosed with the virus. Public health says his case is related to travel within Canada. Health officials say contact tracing is under way and anyone who is a close contact has been advised to quarantine. The province also issued a flight advisory, asking anyone who travelled on Air Canada Flight 8996 from Halifax to St. John's on Wednesday, April 14 to arrange for COVID-19 testing. More than 700 people have been tested for the virus since the province last released COVID-19 data on Friday, with total testing numbers topping 129,000. Meanwhile,13 of the province's 22 active cases are located in the Eastern Health region of the province, while the remaining nine cases are located in the Western Health region. Earlier, Premier Andrew Furey promised to help with medical staff, equipment and supplies Ontario as it battles a third wave of COVID-19 cases, with more than 2000 people in hospital and hundreds admitted to intensive care units and on ventilators. Read more from CBC Newfoundland and Labrador
Congratulations are in order.
Thomas Tuchel is open to a new long-term deal at Chelsea after making such a spectacular start at Stamford Bridge. The German was only handed an 18-month contract when taking over from Frank Lampard in January – but after leading the club to the Champions League semi-finals and the final of the FA Cup, Chelsea chiefs are sure to be considering improved terms in the summer when he will have just a year remaining on his deal.
The Reds are out of Europe and face a fight to finish in the top four.
Shadow chancellor Anneliese Dodds said the body would make recommendations to the party on how to support city and town centres.
Just more than half of U.S. adults have now received at least one COVID-19 vaccine dose, data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention showed on Sunday, with nearly 130 million people aged 18 years or more having received their first shot. That figure makes up about 50.4% of the total adult U.S. population, according to the CDC, marking a milestone for the country that has seen over 560,000 deaths from the pandemic, the highest for any single nation, as the government ramps up the pace of vaccination. The United States had administered 209,406,814 doses of COVID-19 vaccines in the country as of Sunday morning and distributed 264,505,725 doses, the CDC said on Sunday.
Intergovernmental Affairs Minister Dominic LeBlanc discusses his conversations with several premiers over why they've decided to send resources to help with Ontario's COVID-19 response.
Javier "Chicharito" Hernandez said he would be better in 2021, and he delivered in the Galaxy's season opener by scoring twice in 3-2 win over Inter Miami.
The San Antonio Spurs will look to build on one of their most dominant performances of the season when they travel to Indiana to face the Pacers on Monday night. Indiana will play the second game of a road-home back-to-back. The Spurs, meanwhile, had lost two straight before they routed host Phoenix 111-85 Saturday to hand the Suns their worst loss of the season.