Fort Worth firefighters eliminate remaining fireworks from canceled Fourth of July show

·1 min read
Matt Leclercq/mleclercq@star-telegram.com

The Fort Worth Fire Department began eliminating the rest of the city’s Fourth of July fireworks in a controlled environment Tuesday after grass fires forced the show to be canceled.

On Monday evening, the Fort Worth Fourth fireworks show was stopped when several grass fires sparked minutes after the show began, disappointing many viewers.

The rest of the fireworks show was canceled due to concerns of damage to tubes used to shoot off the firework display, according to the Fort Worth Fire Department.

The department then decided to eliminate the remaining fireworks by discharging them under controlled circumstances and in a controlled environment.

Beginning at 9 a.m. Tuesday, the department and the pyrotechnics company of the Fort Worth Fourth’s fireworks show began eliminating the remaining fireworks at Panther Island Pavilion.

The disposal of these fireworks will be audible and there is no set timeframe for how long it will take to safely eliminate the remaining fireworks. There is no public safety threat to residents, the department said.

Fire department officials said they were preparing for the possibility of a grass fire happening at the event, and the Tarrant Regional Water District had been mowing and watering grass.

Fort Worth and Tarrant County are in a drought with the county’s level between severe and extreme.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting