Food recall warning: York Region reminds residents to dispose of powder that caused restaurant aconite poisoning

Recalled Mr. Right brand Keampferia Galanga Powder
Recalled Mr. Right brand Keampferia Galanga Powder

York Region officials in Ontario are reminding residents to not consume the recalled Mr. Right brand Keampferia Galanga Powder (sand ginger powder), after after one person was hospitalized due to aconite contamination.

The sand ginger power (Product code: AT154m UPC: 69 892102 8038) was recalled on Sept. 11 and the contaminated product is responsible for 11 cases of severe illness in York Region after poisoning at a restaurant. The Canadian Food Inspection Agency, the Ministry of Health and York Region worked to ensure the product was removed from food establishments and grocery stores, and York Region has confirmed that the powder was not distributed or sold after the initial recall.

"York Region once again strongly urges any residents and businesses to review the contents of their kitchens to ensure they do not have any of this product and to dispose of it immediately, if found," a news release published on Wednesday reads.

Anyone who has the recalled product in their home is urged to wear gloves while handling the product to dispose of it in the garbage, and should wash their hands thoroughly.

"The recalled product is toxic and can cause severe illness and death if not treated immediately," information from York Region reads. "Food contaminated with aconite may not look or smell spoiled but can still make you sick."

"If you have consumed the recalled product and are experiencing symptoms (which can occur within minutes after consumption), seek immediate medical attention."

The symptoms of aconite poisoning can include:

  • Numbness to lips, face and extremities

  • Nausea

  • Vomiting

  • Abdominal pain and weakness

Individuals can contact Health Connection at 1-800-361-5653 Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. with any questions.