Federal Indigenous Services Minister Marc Miller praised the efforts of Indigenous leaders across Canada for their leadership on helping their communities embrace the COVID-19 vaccination campaign after they announced that 50 percent of eligible recipients have gotten their second doses of the COVID-19 vaccine at a press conference yesterday.
The numbers of cases remain slightly high, considering outbreaks in Ontario that have since come under control, officials said, but the news is very, very good, Miller said.
“We have reason to be optimistic,” he said. “We have reached a threshold where more than 80 per cent of those eligible have been vaccinated, and more than 50 per cent have gotten that critical second dose,” of the COVID-19 vaccine, Miller said.
In addition, Miller updated the situation in Nunavut, where an outbreak in April had been cause of much concern. There are currently zero active cases in the territory, Miller confirmed.
The minister stressed that public health measures were still important.
“We must continue to be vigilant. We must still wear masks in public, we must continue to avoid large gatherings and we must continue to listen to public health officials.
Kahnawake’s pandemic Task Force was officially dissolved last week when the State of Emergency was lifted in the community.
Second doses were going fast and furious yesterday afternoon, with about 25 people getting their doses just after lunch on Tuesday.
Indigenous Services Canada chief medical officer Dr. Tom Wong lauded the efforts of the medical professionals and Indigenous leadership in the COVID-19 vaccination campaign.
“We want it to be a good summer. Go get vaccinated, so we can look after one another. The vaccination campaign has been a great success to this point. We are almost there,” he said.
Marc Lalonde, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, Iori:wase