Subscribe to The Yahoo Fantasy Basketball Podcast
Happy New Year! Andy Behrens and Dalton Del Don are back to discuss all things NBA in the first 2020 episode of the fantasy basketball podcast.
First up, Andy and Dalton discuss the legacy of David Stern and his 30-year career as NBA commissioner. (03:30)
And in this week’s Starting Five, Andy and Dalton run down the five biggest storylines of the fantasy week:
1) Minnesota Timberwolves Center Karl-Anthony Towns, who entered the season having missed five games in his *entire* career, has now missed eight straight games. He’s reportedly ramping up on-court work but according to Ethan Strauss of The Athletic, he’s unhappy in Minnesota. He’s also in the first year of a five-year contract. Hopefully, you were able to pick up Gorgui Dieng. (06:46)
2) Dallas Mavericks big man Kristaps Porzingis will miss his second game in a row with a knee injury on Thursday night. Though the injury does not involve his surgically-repaired knee, there's still cause for concern. "There's no timetable," Rick Carlisle said on Tuesday. "We'll see." Maxi Kleber is worth a pickup while the Unicorn's status is up in the air. (10:54)
3) Andy and Dalton discuss first-half busts like Zion Williamson, Blake Griffin, and Mike Conley, and whether there's hope for a turnaround. (12:47)
4) The New York Knicks are a blistering 6-6 under new head coach Mike Miller, having won three straight. Julius Randle put up a monster game on Wednesday night: 22 points (8-of-15 FGs, 3-of-4 FTs), 13 REB, 3 AST, 3 threes, one steal, one block in Wednesday's win vs. the Blazers. Mitchell Robinson had his own big game with 11-11 FG, including a crazy alley-oop. (16:21)
5) We are theoretically in trade season, though nothing too exciting has happened yet. Dalton and Andy throw out some hypothetical trades that would benefit NBA and fantasy teams alike. (18:37)
Next up, Dalton runs through his pickups of the week, including Gorgui Dieng, Damion Lee, Alec Burks, Ky Bowman, and Jordan McRae. (22:08). And Andy and Dalton engage in some All-Decade talk. They give their picks for the all-decade first & second teams, as well as some awards we'd like to see, like best one-hit-wonder, biggest bust, best rookie season, and the biggest what ifs of the decade. Oklahoma City fans, you might want to skip that last one. (25:17)
And we wrap up the show with In Case You Missed It. ICYMI this week, some great writing on the career of David Stern, like David Aldridge’s obit on David Stern, along with Vincent Goodwill’s piece and Ben Rohrbach’s.
Please remember to rate, review and subscribe on your podcast provider of choice and send us your questions for future episodes on Twitter @YahooFantasy.
Follow Dalton @daltondeldon
Follow Andy @andybehrens