England ordered to play game behind closed doors after disorder at Euro 2020 final

·2 min read

England has been ordered to play their next UEFA competition match behind closed doors following disorder surrounding the Euro 2020 final at Wembley in the summer.

The punishment is in response to chaotic and ugly scenes before, during and after the game, with some ticketless supporters forcing their way through security cordons and gaining entry to the stadium.

Tournament organisers UEFA opened disciplinary proceedings against the Football Association on 3 August and issued sanctions on Monday, as well as a hefty fine of £84,650 for fan violence and other incidents around the stadium.

In addition to the one-match ban on supporters, a further one-game ban is suspended for a period of two years, UEFA said.

A statement from the UEFA Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body said it has decided:

• To order the English Football Association to play its next two UEFA competition matches as host association behind closed doors, the second of which is suspended for a probationary period of two years from the date of the present decision, for the lack of order and discipline inside and around the stadium.

• To fine the English Football Association €100,000 (£84,560) for the lack of order and discipline inside and around the stadium, for the invasion of the field of play, for the throwing of objects and for the disturbances during the national anthems.

The stadium closure will apply for a Nations League fixture in June, while a second empty-stadium game was deferred for a two-year probationary period.

Before the Euro 2020 final against Italy in July, thousands of English fans tried to break through barriers to get into Wembley, which was at about two-thirds capacity due to COVID-19 restrictions.

A number of ticketless supporters successfully breached external barriers and the turnstiles to enter the venue, prompting violent clashes.

Fans were seen fighting with stewards and police, who later released CCTV images of some of those they want to question.

On at least two occasions fans overran stadium entrances and further breaches occurred at perimeter checks. Clashes between fans and stewards ensued and dangerous crushes occurred.

Four charges were handed to the FA by UEFA following the scenes.

England, in its first major tournament final for 55 years, ended up losing to Italy in a penalty shootout following a 1-1 draw.

Police also arrested 11 people in connection with the online racial abuse of England players after the final.

Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka were targeted by racist social media posts after missing penalties against Italy. The age of those arrested range from 18 to 63, and they were all either released under investigation pending further enquiries or bailed to return at a later date.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting