Duke's Mike Krzyzewski in quarantine with his wife after COVID-19 exposure

Ryan Young
·Writer
·2 min read

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski is in “good health” as he and his wife quarantine after they were exposed to a family member who tested positive for COVID-19 last week.

Krzyzewski and his wife, Mickie, started a 10-day quarantine last week, though he said that Duke health officials told him their risk of spreading the virus was low. Both of them have tested negative repeatedly, but are still isolating just in case.

“They said the chance of you having it is minimal, but there’s a chance you could have it,” Krzyzewski said Monday, via The News and Observer. “I listened to [our medical staff]. That’s the way we’ve done it.”

Because of the quarantine, Krzyzewski will miss No. 21 Duke’s matchup against Boston College on Wednesday night. Associate head coach Jon Scheyer will lead the Blue Devils in his place.

It’s unclear if the 73-year-old will be able to return for their game against Wake Forest on Saturday, as that game is set to start right at the end of his quarantine period.

“I’ll be quarantining for the rest of the week,” Krzyzewski said, via The News and Observer. “I’ll have Zoom meetings with my staff to go over Boston College and put in our practice plan. I had a meeting with my staff this morning.”

Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski
Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski is in isolation after he and his wife came into contact with a family member who tested positive for COVID-19. (AP/Lynn Hey)

Krzyzewski had been critical of playing amid COVID-19 pandemic

Krzyzewski is one of several prominent coaches who have been critical of playing the season during the height of the pandemic.

There have been more than 20.7 million confirmed cases of the coronavirus in the United States as of Monday afternoon, and the country is averaging more than 212,000 new cases a day, according to The New York Times. There are more than 2,600 deaths related to the coronavirus each day, too.

Krzyzewski and the Blue Devils opted to cancel the rest of their non-conference season over coronavirus concerns, too. The Duke women’s program even canceled the season completely last month.

“For the good of the game and for the good of the safety and mental and physical health of players and staff, we need to constantly look at this thing,” he said last month. “I don’t think it feels right to anybody.”

The coronavirus had caused plenty of programs to pause or even shut down completely. Villanova paused activities for the second time on Monday after two players tested positive. The news came just one day after they returned to practice following coach Jay Wright’s positive test last month. Wright is one of several coaches to contract the virus, joining Syracuse’s Jim Boeheim, Michigan State’s Tom Izzo, Pittsburgh’s Jeff Capel and Baylor’s Scott Drew, among others.

More from Yahoo Sports: