Urías will remain on administrative leave “until further notice,” per a statement from the league, under the domestic violence policy it jointly negotiated with the MLB Players Assn.
While Urías didn’t travel with the team to Miami, the league’s move to place him on leave had been expected.
It clears the way for the Dodgers to add Ryan Pepiot to their roster to start Thursday’s game against the Marlins — Urías was originally scheduled to be the team’s starter for the game — and avoids the potential for grievance had the Dodgers not used Urías as planned while he was still healthy and on the active roster.
“The Dodgers take all allegations of the kind in this case very seriously, and we do not condone or excuse any acts of domestic violence,” the Dodgers said in a statement. “We are fully cooperating with MLB’s investigation and support MLB’s and the Commissioner’s enforcement of the policy.”
Manager Dave Roberts said, “I don’t know enough yet” when asked if Urías’ situation could be resolved before the end of the regular season.
“Obviously these are very serious circumstances,” Roberts said. “I would expect it to take the time needed to make sure that the right actions are taken. So I don’t know how long it will take, but I think we’re expecting it to take some time.”
Urías has not yet been formally charged with a crime, but has a court date set for Sept. 27.
In a statement earlier Wednesday, a spokesperson for Exposition Park management — whose police force arrested Urías after the LAFC-Inter Miami game Sunday at BMO Field — declined to offer specifics about the circumstances that led up to Urías’ arrest but said his case was being sent to the Los Angeles County district attorney’s office.
Even if he isn’t charged, Urías could face discipline under the domestic violence policy.
In 2019, Urías was suspended 20 games under the domestic violence policy after being arrested, but not charged, for suspicion of misdemeanor domestic battery.
No player has been suspended twice under the policy since it was created in 2015.
The Dodgers also announced Wednesday that their scheduled Urías Team Mexico bobblehead promotion for Sept. 21 has been canceled. The team will instead give away other “premium bobbleheads” to the first 30,000 fans in attendance.
This story originally appeared in Los Angeles Times.