The Toronto Raptors made the interesting call to keep Kyle Lowry on the roster despite a few teams reaching out with deals. The Group Chat discusses whether or not it was the right move.
The Toronto Raptors made the interesting call to keep Kyle Lowry on the roster despite a few teams reaching out with deals. The Group Chat discusses whether or not it was the right move.
British scientists on Monday launched a trial which will deliberately expose participants who have already had COVID-19 to the coronavirus again to examine immune responses and see if people get reinfected. In February, Britain became the first country in the world to give the go-ahead for so-called "challenge trials" in humans, in which volunteers are deliberately exposed to COVID-19 to advance research into the disease caused by the coronavirus. "The information from this work will allow us to design better vaccines and treatments, and also to understand if people are protected after having COVID, and for how long," said Helen McShane, a University of Oxford vaccinologist and chief investigator on the study.
The Times said the Prime Minister planned to make it a criminal offence not to declare work for a foreign government in the UK.
There was condemnation from governing bodies and leagues on Sunday.
Björn Ulvaeus on the Swedish band's song contest win on British soil, and the future of streaming.
Japanese companies think the country will suffer a fourth round of coronavirus infections, with many bracing for a further blow to business, a Reuters monthly poll showed. Japan has so far seen far fewer COVID-19 cases than many Western countries, but concerns about a new wave of infections are rising fast. A delay in vaccinations versus other Group of Seven advanced countries and a lacking sense of crisis among the public will trigger a new wave of infections, some firms wrote in the poll.
Peter Dutton overrules decision to strip medals from SAS soldiers who served in AfghanistanMove by new defence minister ensures 3,000 soldiers will retain meritorious unit citation unless they are convicted of war crimes In overruling the ADF chief’s decision to strip medals from veterans, new defence minister Peter Dutton says allegations of war crimes in Afghanistan are shocking but ‘my judgment was that we shouldn’t be punishing the 99% for the sins of the 1%’. Photograph: Darren England/AAP
Ontario will start offering the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine to those aged 40 and over starting on Tuesday, the province announced Sunday following days of mounting pressure to lower the minimum age. The province had previously stuck to the National Advisory Committee on Immunization's recommendation to only offer the AstraZeneca shot to those 55 and over due to a slightly elevated risk of an extremely rare blood clot disorder. But as hospitalizations surged to unprecedented levels in Ontario and AstraZeneca vaccines sat in pharmacy refrigerators, Health Minister Christine Elliott's office confirmed the plan to make the shots available to more residents. "Based on current supply, Ontario will begin offering the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine to individuals aged 40 and over at pharmacy and primary care settings across the province effective Tuesday," Alexandra Hilkene said in an email on Sunday evening. Hours earlier, Elliott's federal counterpart told a news conference that such a move was well within the provinces' jurisdiction. "NACI provides advice to provinces and territories," Health Minister Patty Hajdu said. "They can adjust their use for AstraZeneca as per their desire and the advice from their own public health authorities and medical expertise." She noted that Health Canada has licensed the AstraZeneca shot for use in people over the age of 18. "NACI continues to review the advice on AstraZeneca use and will have updated guidance in the very near future," Hajdu added. Anthony Dale, president and CEO of the Ontario Hospital Association, tweeted that there is "'surplus supply at risk of expiring." Many Ontario physicians took to social media to express their frustration with the province's lack of action on the issue. "Pharmacies, listen up. DO NOT WASTE A SINGLE DOSE OF THE AZ VACCINE. Explain the risk and obtain informed consent to administer to people under age 55," Dr. Brian Goldman said in a tweet Sunday. Dr. Irfan Dhalla, vice-president of Unity Health Toronto, agreed. "It’s hard to imagine the provincial government coming after pharmacies or family doctors for using AZ in people (under) 55," he tweeted. Later, he praised Elliott's decision to unlock some of the AstraZeneca vaccines, and urged the province to send even more to COVID-19 hot spots. Steven Del Duca, who heads up the Liberal party in the province, agreed. "Doug Ford must release the AstraZeneca vaccine from pharmacy freezers and get it into the arms of anyone over 18 in a hot spot," he tweeted Sunday. "(Patty Hajdu) was clear: there is nothing stopping him from getting shots into arms." The calls to lower the threshold for the AstraZeneca vaccine extended beyond Ontario's borders. "It sounds like Alberta is having trouble using its AstraZeneca. Lower the minimum age; Gen X can help!" Lisa Young, a political science professor at the University of Calgary, tweeted this week. Dr. Deena Hinshaw, the province's chief medical officer of health, said Saturday that the province planned to make a decision around age ranges for AstraZeneca eligibility "in the near future." Some have been hesitant to accept the AstraZeneca vaccine due to a very rare blood clotting condition, which has thus far affected two Canadians. More than 700,000 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine have been administered in this country. The global frequency of the blood clot disorder, known as vaccine-induced immune thrombotic thrombocytopenia, or VITT, has been estimated at about one case in 100,000 to 250,000 doses. The risk of developing blood clots due to COVID-19 is much higher, and experts say people should accept the first vaccine they're offered. Meanwhile, the federal government announced Sunday that it was mobilizing its own resources and co-ordinating with lesser-hit provinces to send health-care workers and other support to help Ontario as it battles record-breaking COVID-19 numbers. It wasn't immediately clear how the Ontario government would respond to Ottawa's offer. Hospitalizations and admissions to intensive care units continued to reach record heights in the province, which reported 4,250 new COVID-19 infections in the last 24 hours. Ontario announced a number of new restrictions to quell the skyrocketing numbers, but has faced pressure to roll back limits on outdoor activities, which critics have said will do little to stop the spread. Meanwhile, data released by Canada's chief public health officer indicated the average daily number of hospitalizations and deaths in the country jumped by more than 30 per cent between April 9 and 15 compared to the week before. The latest national figures showed an average of 3,428 people with COVID-19 were being treated in Canadian hospitals each day during the most recent seven-day reporting period, representing a 34 per cent increase over the week before. An average of 41 people died each day during the same stretch, which is 38 per cent higher than the previous week. Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Theresa Tam said cases, test positivity rates and intensive care admissions are all rising as Canada battles a wave of COVID-19 that is driven by more contagious virus variants. Quebec, meanwhile, reported more than 1,300 new infections in the past 24 hours. Prince Edward Island recorded three new cases, while Nova Scotia logged seven and New Brunswick added 10. Farther west, Manitoba recorded 170 new cases of the virus and one added death, while Saskatchewan counted 289 new cases and one death. Alberta, which is currently dealing with the highest rate of COVID-19 per capita in Canada, reported 1,516 new cases of the virus on Sunday and three more deaths. As of Saturday night, Ontario's rate of active COVID-19 cases was 276 per 100,000, compared to 391 per 100,000 in Alberta. This report by The Canadian Press was first published April 18, 2021. - with files from Morgan Lowrie in Montreal and Rob Drinkwater in Edmonton. Nicole Thompson, The Canadian Press
Ontario may be hard pressed to get nurses from other parts of Canada to help it cope with the pandemic because some provinces and territories are experiencing their own shortages, says the head of a professional association that represents nurses across the country. Tim Guest, president of the Canadian Nurses Association, said New Brunswick, Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut, for example, have all struggled with vacancies. The only provinces with increases in nurses relative to their adult populations since 2016 are Alberta, P.E.I. and Newfoundland and Labrador. "All the rest have dropped," he said. P.E.I., however, has a shortage of intensive care unit nurses. "We've been seeing increasing vacancies in nurses for a period of time. This isn't a new phenomenon that we're just seeing now within the pandemic," he said on Sunday. "There are certainly challenges across the country." Ontario made an appeal in a letter to other provincial and territorial governments on Friday to send their nurses to the province as it continues to grapple with a surge of COVID-19 cases. Before the pandemic, Guest said there were vacancies of nurses evident largely in specialty areas, such as operating rooms, intensive care units, emergency departments, long term care homes and rural and remote communities, he added. As well, a number of trends have contributed to vacancies, he said. Nurses have options, they are a mobile workforce, some have indicated they want to quit after the pandemic because of working conditions, baby boomers who were nurses have begun to retire and the U.S. likes to recruit Canadian nurses, he added. 'Ontario needs help' Guest acknowledged that the nursing shortage has become a "more urgent situation" in Ontario in recent months. "The reality of it is that Ontario is trying to increase its capacity," he said. But nurses are the predominant worker in ICUs, and without nurses, it is impossible to operate the physical space, he added. "Ontario needs help. They don't have enough ICU nurses in order to operate all that they believe they need to to increase their capacity to meet the surge they're seeing coming." Nurses wait for passengers to get off an international flight at Toronto’s Pearson airport on Feb. 1, 2021, the first day of mandatory COVID-19 testing for international travellers returning to Canada. (EVAN MITSUI) The Ontario government did not heed warnings from medical experts, he added. "There have been many experts interviewed on media for months that have provided recommendations and verbalized warnings that this was coming and there was a need to be prepared for it. I think the reality is certainly there and there is a need to act. And that's why the request has come out," he said. Guest suggested one solution is that Canada reduce elective surgeries across the country to free up critical care nurses, while another solution is the federal government could support Ontario with nurses from the Canadian Armed Forces. Province sent letter to all provinces, territories On Sunday, the Ontario health ministry repeated its appeal for nurses to come to Ontario to help the province care for patients with COVID-19. "As the province continues to add more critical care capacity, we are exploring every potential measure to bolster Ontario's health care workforce," Alex Hilkene, spokesperson for Health Minister Christine Elliott, said in an email. "This includes seeking support from our provincial and territorial partners for frontline health care staff to assist in staffing Ontario's critical care beds, in addition to ongoing provincial initiatives to bolster the workforce and ensure our trained health care professionals are deployed where they are needed most." In a letter to all provinces and territories sent on Friday, Ontario's Deputy Health Minister Helen Angus said the province needs thousands of nurses.(Evan Mitsui/CBC) In a letter to all provinces and territories sent on Friday, Ontario's Deputy Health Minister Helen Angus said the province needs thousands of nurses and she asked whether they had any available that could be deployed to the province. Hospital capacity, particularly in ICUs, has become strained due rising numbers of patients with COVID-19 in southern Ontario, Angus said. Ontario is expected to have a shortage of 4,145 nurses in the hospital sector over the next four months, Angus said. She asked her counterparts for 620 health professionals, including 500 nurses and 100 respiratory therapists. "We are projecting a need for this critical support for four months following the anticipated peak of the third wave," Angus wrote. The association represents registered nurses, nurse practitioners, licensed and registered practical nurses, registered psychiatric nurses and retired nurses across Canada.
Hundreds of passengers thronged Australian airports on Monday as an open border system began with New Zealand, a pandemic milestone that allows Australian residents to fly there for the first time in over a year without having to quarantine for two weeks. Though most Australian states have allowed quarantine-free visits from New Zealand residents since late last year, New Zealand had enforced isolation for arrivals from its neighbour, citing concern about sporadic virus outbreaks there. Television footage showed hundreds of passengers crowding the international departure terminals at Australian airports.
Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham and Manchester City have signed up to the planned competition.
Move by major clubs from England, Spain and Italy could alter the shape of club football forever
Concerned Chris Packham issued a rousing rallying cry to the British public after shocking new research revealed seven in ten of us admit we’re not doing enough to save the planet.
Authorities say they arrested a "person of interest" in connection with the shooting that left 3 dead at a busy tavern in Kenosha, Wisconsin.
Adebayo thought about recreating Wade's iconic celebration after hitting Miami's first buzzer-beater since 2019.
SAN DIEGO — Eric Hosmer delivered the tying and go-ahead RBIs in the seventh and eighth innings, helping the San Diego Padres beat the Los Angeles Dodgers 5-2 Sunday to avoid a sweep in the first series of the year between the NL West rivals. Dodgers starter Trevor Bauer handed off a 2-1 lead to Los Angeles' bullpen after six innings in tight duel with another Cy Young Award winner, Blake Snell. Hosmer doubled in the tying run in the seventh off Brusdar Graterol, then delivered the decisive blow in the eighth. San Diego scored three unearned runs in the inning stemming from shortstop Corey Seager's throwing error. Hosmer's sharp single made it 3-2, and Tommy Pham followed with a two-run double into the left-field corner. San Diego had lost seven straight in the rivalry, including a three-game sweep in last year's NL Division Series. The Padres and Dodgers will meet 16 more times this season, starting with a set next weekend in Los Angeles. In four previous career starts versus the Padres, Bauer was 0-4 with a 5.06 ERA. Bauer, the 2020 NL Cy Young winner with Cincinnati, was effective his entire outing, pounding his chest twice after striking out Fernando Tatis Jr. on a 3-2 fastball to end the sixth and finish his day. Bauer gave up one earned run and three hits while striking out seven. Snell, the 2018 AL Cy Young winner with Tampa Bay, faced the Dodgers for the first time since he was fatefully taken out of Game 6 of the World Series last year after dominating LA for over five innings. He lasted five innings and was lifted for a pinch-hitter after 95 pitches, giving up two earned runs and two hits while striking out seven on 98 pitches. Keone Kela (2-0) earned the win in relief for the Padres and Mark Melancon notched his sixth save. Reliever Scott Alexander (0-1) took the loss for the Dodgers. Graterol, activated on Sunday from the 10-day injured list, faced the Padres in the seventh and gave up a single, double and walk in five batters in two-thirds of an inning. Hosmer's opposite-field double off the left-field foul line scored Manny Machado. In the second inning, Will Smith singled and Chris Taylor smashed an estimated 443-foot, two-run homer to left-centre on a 95 mph fastball from Snell to give the Dodgers a 2-0 edge. The Padres trailed only 2-1 after Jake Cronenworth hit a knuckle curve from Bauer for a solo homer in the fourth. Graterol pitched for the first time since his celebration on the mound in last year’s NL Division Series after teammate Cody Bellinger’s sensational catch robbing Tatis of a home run in Game 2. Graterol's antics angered the Padres and led to a heated confrontation between the teams. TRAINER’S ROOM Dodgers: Placed SS Gavin Lux on the 10-day injured list with right wrist soreness. Padres: RF Trent Grisham was scratched from Sunday’s starting lineup due to left quad tightness but was available on the bench. UP NEXT Dodgers: RHP Dustin May (1-0, 1.74) is scheduled to start Monday to begin a two-game series at Seattle. Padres: RHP Joe Musgrove (2-1, 0.47) is scheduled to open a three-game home series versus Milwaukee on Monday. It will be Musgrove’s first home start since he threw a no-hitter on April 9 at Texas, the first no-hitter in Padres history. ___ More AP MLB: https://apnews.com/hub/MLB Richard J. Marcus, The Associated Press
European Super League: how did the clubs get to this point?. Analysis: 12 clubs have announced they are joining the new European Super League after a weekend of frantic talks
Meet the nominees for this week’s Charlotte Observer high school football player of the week. Readers can vote as often as they want, until Friday, around noon, when the poll will close.
A group of investors managing $11 trillion in assets has called on banks to set tougher emissions targets ahead of a meeting of world leaders aimed at accelerating efforts to fight climate change. The group, which includes Pimco, the world's biggest bond investor, and Britain's biggest asset manager, Legal & General Investment Management, said they wanted lenders to set 'enhanced' pledges to decarbonise their lending books. While a number of the world's biggest banks have already said they have an 'ambition' to reach net zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050, many have yet to specify how they plan to do so and continue to fund heavy emitting activities.
These couples were in perfect harmony at the ACM Awards in Nashville on Sunday night
Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham have linked up with six other clubs from Europe.