David Whyte named as hero police officer seriously injured in Glasgow knife attack

David Whyte has been named as the police officer who suffered serious stab wounds while trying to stop an attack in Glasgow.

Police Scotland chief constable Iain Livingstone has paid tribute to the 42-year-old officer who was one of six people injured during the incident at the Park Inn Hotel in West George Street on Friday.

All of the victims are still in the hospital, with PC Whyte currently in a "critical but stable" condition.

A male suspect was shot dead by an armed unit and the attack was not being treated as terrorism.

Paying tribute to his officers and those injured, Mr Livingstone said in a statement: “My thoughts and very best wishes are with those who have been injured and their families, including our colleague Constable David Whyte who was seriously injured in the course of doing his duty.

“I offer my personal support to all those affected.”

Read more: Bank boss jailed after stealing nearly £3m from employer to splash out on cars

Armed police at the scene of an incident in Glasgow (Picture: PA)

Emergency services attend the scene where six people were injured (Picture: PA)

Mr Livingstone added: “Officers have once again run into danger to protect their fellow citizens. Their professionalism as police officers was outstanding.

“I pay tribute to their bravery, selflessness and commitment to protecting the public.

“I briefed the first minister and the prime minister earlier today on the circumstances and advised them both that we are not treating the attack as a terrorist incident.

“It is essential enquiries are now carried out to establish the full circumstances and all speculation must be avoided.”

The Scottish Police Federation (SPF) confirmed a male officer had been stabbed and his family had been informed.

The other victims were men aged 17, 18, 20, 38 and 53.

Read more: Council spent thousands trying to keep name of Tate teenager's name a secret

A male suspect was shot dead by an armed unit (Picture: PA)

One witness, who gave his name as John, said he saw two receptionists stabbed in the hotel.

He said he came down from the third floor of the hotel to see the reception covered in blood.

Witness Craig Milroy, who saw the aftermath of the incident from an office building nearby, said he had seen four people taken away in ambulances.

He added: “I saw a man lying on the ground, of African descent, with no shoes on.

“He was on the ground with someone holding his side – I don’t know if it was a bullet wound, a stab wound, or what it was.”

A spokeswoman for campaign group Positive Action In Housing said the 91-room hotel was housing asylum seekers for the Mears Group, which moved them there during the coronavirus lockdown.